BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Rising from the Ashes

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim WilsonRising from the Ashes
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 10:17:29 pm

I just got this great mailing from Nick Griffin that I thought I'd pass along....

Here's a reminder of how things looked just a month ago....

Many congratulations on this fantastic news, Mr. Griffin!

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Rising from the Ashes
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 11:32:26 pm
Last Edited By Nick Griffin on Dec 26, 2015 at 8:18:14 pm

Thanks, Tim! It's been a bit of a rough month but finally getting all the new stuff up and running is invigorating. (Just wish someone had told me that Avid won't run on El Capitan and back-grading to Yosemite required professional help. And to think just 20 years ago I made a lot of money as a Mac consultant.)

A HUGE thanks to all my friends for their help, especially the COW's Ty Ford and David Weiss!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Rising from the Ashes
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 11:40:48 pm

So glad you are back in gear, Nick!

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Rising from the Ashes
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 6:05:49 am

Congrats on bouncing back, Nick.

Sorry to hear you've been going through such stress.

I ordered a large new Fire Safe with a data port for secure back-ups just this past week after seeing a news story on a local business that had suffered a fire.

That you were able to quickly get going again speaks volumes about your having taken the proper data security precautions. A lesson for everyone.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ned MillerRe: Rising from the Ashes
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 1:52:11 pm

Good luck Nick! Sorry for your loss. Hope you received proper compensation from your insurance carrier.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2015 at 6:24:36 pm

Well, wish it had been that simple and straightforward. Everyone said to me, “As much as you know about computers you must have had extensive back-ups.” I did. Problem was they were on bare hard drives in cases sitting BESIDE the main computer. Some still worked after the fire, most didn’t. To get the 4 drives inside my Mac tower back I used DriveSavers and can highly recommend them, but they sure aren’t cheap. Something on the order of $6,450 for one 1tb SSD and three 4tb conventional hard disks.

We had a 2tb drive kept at my partner’s house but had very remiss in keeping it current. At least I was able to use it to get started while waiting on the restoration of the SSD boot drive. Oh… and here’s something I never knew: DriveSavers recovers just data, NOT applications or system stuff. Most of that was brought back to life from a Time Machine disk which was one of the internal drives recovered by DriveSavers.

Then, still there were problems getting all of the software back and working. To my complete surprise Quark (the program we use for print work) came back to life with just a brief on-line verification. Avid was a bit more complex and finally required their tech support to remotely install and activate it. AND no one ever told me that I’d have to down-grade to the Yosemite OS on our brand new tower because it comes with El Capitan which Avid does not yet support. (Apparently they only started supporting Yosemite early last week.)

It was time to upgrade QuickBooks anyway, so I just bought a new copy. Same with MS Office. A slightly higher cost than pursuing upgrades but OHHHH so much simpler.

Now, as to Adobe, if I state the facts I believe it is not libel. We bought the very last Master Creative Suite 6 on disks before they went to the CS subscription model because I liked the idea of “owning” rather than renting software. This week I spent hours and hours in Adobe’s phone tree before finally reaching a human being and this is literally how the conversation went:

Her: “Sir can you just read me the serial # off the original disks?”
Me: “Uh… as I said the disks and their box were destroyed in a fire.”
Here: “OK, but can you read me the serial number?”

Finally, in disgust after going through another endless phone tree which gave sales as it’s only human option — a human who could ONLY sell subscriptions or put me back into the phone tree — I broke down and subscribed to Adobe CS. If there was any viable alternative to Adobe I’d switch in a heartbeat. How is it that this company isn’t in violation of anti-trust rules?

In spite of all of these hassles, we were very well insured and the home policy almost immediately moved into the final settlement phase. The business policy’s coverage is still somewhat up in the air and I may have to learn the hard way that not keeping making updates to the “scheduled” property can be costly.

BUT, no people were hurt or lost, just stuff. So lessons learned: always upgrade EVERY part of an older home’s wiring (our fire was caused by an arc in 1920’s ‘knob and tube’ style wiring in the oldest portion of the structure); Maintain OFF-SITE archives and update them frequently; deal with only the best insurance agents and companies; and someday I may be able to get back to working full time and not spending hours with inspectors, adjusters, insurance companies and realtors. Someday soon I can hope.

So from our hotel room of six weeks (so far), that's the story to date. May this NEVER happen to any of our many Bovine buddies!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2015 at 6:30:49 pm

Oh yeah, almost forgot: there's nothing like friends in times of loss. I'm especially thankful for the offers of help received on and off-line. The COW truly is a family that I appreciate more than can be conveyed in words alone.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Rising from the Ashes
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 2:32:41 pm

Wow, wholehearted congratulations Nick and if there's anything we can do to assist, please let us know. Glad to see you've been able to come back through.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Rising from the Ashes
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 2:40:10 pm

I didn't know about it until today, but I'm glad to hear you're safe and recovering. May 2016 be a banner, come-back year for you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved