BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

A truism

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick GriffinA truism
by on Dec 12, 2015 at 1:48:38 pm

Both of my college age daughters posted this on Facebook:

"Choose a field you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life...
because they're not hiring in that field."

Kind of sounds like film and video production, doesn't it?

Return to posts index

Ned MillerRe: A truism
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:44:27 pm

I have one kid in conservation and another in environmentalism, we made the mistake of encouraging them to follow their bliss. Good recipe for being broke since everyone else their age is trying the same fields. Here's a book that explains it all clearly: Do What You Love: And Other Lies About Success and Happiness

I learned from this book that there's a new term in economics called Hope Labor, where the young person does slave wage or intern work in "the hope" of getting a real job.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

Post removed by author on Dec 14, 2015 at 6:06:29 pm.

Mark SuszkoRe: A truism
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 9:53:22 pm

New term for an old idea, I'd say.

I think I told this anecdote before: shorter version: IT guy visits me to image and swap out the hard drive from my computer for a new one. While making small talk, I make a reference to my scale reproduction of the HAL9000 computer "eye", as being a "government computer", and the IT guy has no idea what a HAL 9000 is, has never heard of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, claims he's never heard the meme: "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that". None of it.

Seriously: he works in the computer biz and has no inkling of anything to do with this image.

Agog at this, I ask him about what he does outside of work. He said that he's just in this job for the money, and every waking moment he's not here, he's up a tree with his compound bow, covered in deer urine.
Well, everybody needs a hobby. But I couldn't imagine the disconnect being so severe.

Here's the thing about not working at something you love: it wears you down and kills you. When so much of every day is tied to how you make a living, not even the wisest, most "centered" person can totally divorce their identity and their personal satisfaction from how they earn their keep. To be able to do that might point to you being a psychopath. In school, you are introduced to Abe Maslow's pyramid, the "hierarchy of needs". The base needs of security, food, shelter, health, are served well enough by menial "joe jobs". But to get to higher levels of satisfaction on that pyramid, to approach full "self-actualization", would include doing work that fulfills you creatively, emotionally, not just financially. Indeed, in some cases, you'd be better off emotionally to be working for less but enjoying it more.

"Hope Labor" is a scam. It's a variation on: "I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today."

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: A truism
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 9:58:12 pm

[Mark Suszko] "every waking moment he's not here, he's up a tree...covered in deer urine..."

Yeah, if I had a nickel for every time I was... oh, wait... deer urine.

Never mind.

Happy holidays to all!

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:26:32 pm

Problem was, he was at the local playground at the time, so... awkward.

I do GET people's hobbies and how consuming they can be. A good long beam reach on a perfect day on the water, with the sail perfectly set, is like Church for me. Nailing the chords on a new song with my uke thrills me for days. Ditto, coring a thermal for as long as I can keep my neck from getting a crick, that isn't just fun, it's soul-pleasing. After thirty-odd years at this job, I still love most everything about it, and though I've never gotten famous or ridiculously rich at it, I have been able to raise my family on it. It feels like getting away with the perfect crime; to do what you love, hurt nobody, and get paid for it! I'll still be doing it when I retire some day. Only better: I'll be doing it to please myself as the only client.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:33:13 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:35:07 pm

It's that joy you connect to, that's what enables you to make the effort every day and not lose energy from it, but actually gain some back. If you're doing something with no such fulfillment, I don't see how you can sustain the effort to become successful. So, it's not exactly true that if do what you love, the money will just come to you. Doing what you love sustains you, and gives you the necessary energy and drive to keep making the effort over the long term that lands you the money, eventually. Some people, their only needed motivation is to see their kids don't go to sleep hungry, and that's powerful, no question. But bees and ants and termites have that much. Animal instinct does that much. But without a larger, more long-term goal to strive for, that daily effort becomes the entire existence, and to do more, you have to be more, to have a mission beyond mere existence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved