BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How to market self as Technical Director?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig Jurkoic
How to market self as Technical Director?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:44:34 pm

I am a contractor, directing video / multi cam at live events for 12 years. Aka "Technical Director".
Corporate, motivational and trade group events throughout US.
200-600 participants
3-8 cameras

How do I market myself, get new clients?

All contributions appreciated.
(Previously I worked almost exclusively for just one client.)

-Craig

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: How to market self as Technical Director?
on Nov 24, 2015 at 12:27:23 am

Who do you want as new clients? Can you be more specific?

To put it another way, what kind of projects are they doing? Who are they using instead of you?

And, if a particular kind of client isn't doing your kind of projects, what would make them want to start?

Also, what's your location?

More details, and we may be able to help you a little better. :-)

Return to posts index

craig Jurkoic
on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:31:57 am
Last Edited By craig Jurkoic on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:39:14 am

Awesome questions, Tim. Thanks

"Who do you want as new clients? Can you be more specific? what kind of projects are they doing?" "

I'm not picky. The last client would phone me a few weeks or days in advance e.g.: am I available Sept 2-7 for a gig in Dallas, Phoenix, LV etc.. They'd arrange eticket flights, cover food and on-site hotel.
The speakers are typically motivational, marketing.
Days are 12-18 hours.
My video goes to big screens, live-streamed to web and recorded for salable product.
I’d be paid within a few weeks.

Frankly I don’t really know what to compare it to; I don’t know what I don’t know.

"Who are they using instead of you?"

I don’t know. It seems they call me in when the job is particularly challenging, the stakes are high or there’s a last-minute need.

"if a particular kind of client isn't doing your kind of projects, what would make them want to start?"

Some AV guys said their company receives requests for the services I provide but they turn them away, presumably because they lack employees with my skillset. (I’ve since reached out to this AV company and others).

"what's your location?"

Los Angeles area, an hour from LAX and Burbank airports.

Please ask me anything you want. This is helpful.

-Craig

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Nov 24, 2015 at 2:11:28 pm

Sounds like you would want to be targeted marketing particular type of clients. For example targeted at event producers. What are the trade mags they read? You might want to investigate advertising on linked in Google ad words Bing ad words etc. and strengthening your linked in profile. You might also want to write an article that could be distributed free to prospective clients I've seen that used effectively.

Al

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 24, 2015 at 3:26:21 pm

Are you signed up for all the freelance crew aggregators? Seems like that would be the first step. And since this is a referral-driven business you are in, every gig is a chance to market yourself and network, if you do it tastefully and ethically.

On your biz web page, you should be posting short descriptions, stills and possibly sample clips from every gig you do, both shots of you working "behind the scenes" as well as clips of the actual switching.

People who only hire once in a while, or who aren't experts in production, prefer to point to something they like and ask for an imitation of whatever they point to. You have to give them enough of a variety of samples that they can understand you do the kind of job they're looking for.

Return to posts index

craig Jurkoic
on Nov 24, 2015 at 6:29:45 pm

Thanks, Mark.
By "freelance crew aggregators" do you mean large AV recruiting companies? If so, yes.
I'm following up on your other suggestions as well.
-Craig

Return to posts index

craig Jurkoic
on Nov 24, 2015 at 6:25:32 pm
Last Edited By craig Jurkoic on Nov 24, 2015 at 6:30:31 pm

Thanks, Al.
I'm on it.
-Craig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]