BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

A legal question- can I legally film content displayed on a web browser- for commercial use?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ric Toone
A legal question- can I legally film content displayed on a web browser- for commercial use?
on Oct 5, 2015 at 11:45:19 am

Hi. I have a legal rather than technical question for video/documentary producers...

I run a video production company in London and am planning an assignment for a client (a company, not a charity). The video I'm creating will be used to promote a new innovative initiative within healthcare, which my client is driving.

SO I'd like to set the scene with some references to the political landscape by filming cutaways of web articles, youtube videos (politicians) and search results- that present some of the socio-political challenges that our healthcare system faces. I'll be using a camera rather than screen capturing software, so it will pick up the pixels of the screen and scrolling of the content (documentary-style footage).

If anyone has any experience in delivering something like this and/or could offer any legal guidance I'd be very grateful. Thanks very much, Ric

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: A legal question- can I legally film content displayed on a web browser- for commercial use?
on Oct 6, 2015 at 4:12:05 pm

Not sure how it is across the pong. Over here, if the client wanted to do something like this, we would first create a fake, off-brand browser/search window. Then we'd get authorized and cleared stills and stock footage of the kinds of people you talk about, create mock-up web pages, newspaper headlines, and video playback windows, then do our montages and screen grabs using only legally cleared material.

Return to posts index

Ric Toone
Re: A legal question- can I legally film content displayed on a web browser- for commercial use?
on Oct 6, 2015 at 4:21:17 pm

Hi and thanks very much for your thoughts on this. I guess that is a safe work-around. I'm sure the laws are fairly universal across this kind of thing.... It not quite the result I was aiming for but maybe the way to go. I don't suppose you have something you'd be happy to share as an example please?

Thanks again, Ric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]