BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Best Way to Show Video at a Trade Show???

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
Best Way to Show Video at a Trade Show???
on Sep 29, 2015 at 9:05:37 pm

Hey all...

One of my clients is still using DVD's (really!!!...regular DVD's!!!) to show their various brand and product vids at a trade show.

I am doing some post on the videos now but when done I have to author the DVD's (on DVD Studio Pro that I have kept around on an old drive). I finally dumped my Mac G5 and can't even burn DVD's any more without going and buying a burner someplace (do they still make those?).

I know pretty much nothing about this but I have to give them some kind of recommendation to move them away from DVD's without it costing a lot. They have 4-5 big screens in their booth. I am thinking buy a 5 low end iPads & 5 Apple TV's, get a looping app and do it that way.

I'd really appreciate any other ideas. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Best Way to Show Video at a Trade Show???
on Sep 29, 2015 at 9:44:48 pm

Depending on the model you can use MP4s and put it on a USB stick and plug that in to the usb port....some have an SD card. They wont' be synced but it does work.

We sometimes use digital signage boxes which also play off SD cards and have HDMI outputs...but the SD card thing works on our monitors in our facility.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:18:19 pm

Does this client also use Sarah the operator to call you?

Seriously, though, you can get a little media player (several different brands... I have one by Phillips, one by Western Digital, and a couple of other various ones I think). Some are in the $100 neighborhood and some are as cheap as 35-40 bucks and work like a charm, will pump 1080 video out via HDMI, have a remote control, all that jazz. All will play files off of thumb drives (or external USB drives), and some have SD card slots.

For easiest/fastest/cheapest, hit WalMart (although I hate them with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns) and look for their little digital-to-analog converter boxes. Strangely enough, most of them have USB ports that feed straight through HDMI and work as media players. Less than 50 bucks.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:34:00 pm

After I posted I decided to look it up... this is the exact media player that I use on my main TV at home...

http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/iview-3500stbii.html

...although I bought it online elsewhere (not straight from the company), and only paid about $35 for it. Google the model number and I'm sure you'll find it lots of places.

I actually use it as a non-subscription DVR (it has a tuner, programming guide, scheduled recording, all that jazz), and it works like a charm. But it will also work as just a media player, playing files from anything connected to the USB port. It has all kinds of outputs, including HDMI. Nice full-featured remote.

If you want to pump the same video to multiple screens, that little box and an HDMI splitter/distribution amp should be all that you need.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 30, 2015 at 3:50:30 am

Hi Terry,

Can you set this unit up to loop the video over and over again? How do you do that?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 30, 2015 at 5:58:56 am

Hi Greg...

I didn't know, I've never had any need for any of the units I have to loop... at the office we just use them to show spots in conference room etc... and at home I use it as a DVR so I've never had any need to do any looping.

I did check it though, the Iview unit I have at home doesn't seem to have any looping ability. I thought though that if the drive only had one file, it would repeat it, but I tested it and it won't. However, if there are multiple files on the drive, once the device plays one it will automatically move on to the next one. So, theoretically you could just put multiple copies of the file on your drive over and over again. A big enough drive and you could put dozens if not hundreds of hours of video on it, so you could fake loop it as long as needed. I have a little 100GB drive on the unit I use as a DVR at home.

I don't know if the Phillips and Western Digital media players we have at work will loop... they might... as I said I've never had need to do that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 30, 2015 at 1:50:38 pm

Just one more option:

Blu Ray players are also pretty cheap now, under fifty bucks, and in FCPX and and even in Lowly FCP7 (Share function) or DVDSP, you can author a simple high def blu ray, with a loop or single play "menu" option on start-up. The BD players can also be set to loop.

Heck, doesn't iTunes loop videos the same as it can do with mp3's? Used iPod with the correct output cable might be all you need.

I commend your efforts to get the client into HD in simple steps. When they see how much better the product looks on a big screen, they will thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 30, 2015 at 1:59:48 pm

There's at least one way to loop a show on an ipod. This came up in a quick and dirty google. He's using a composite RCA cable, but I think there are now HDMI options avaiable:

(as far as I know) the only way to loop a video is to have it be part of a PlayList in iTunes. But the problem I found is that Movies (i.e. videos) will not show up on the iPod Touch in a PlayList unless there is an audio track as part of the PlayList as well. Once you have an audio file the PlayList in iTunes can be set to loop.

Heres how I did it:

a) Open garage band or another audio editor and create a TINY audio clip that is about 1 second long and is silent. If your clip imported is longer then you want you can shorten it in iTunes’s INFO for that track. The file should be an MP3, WAVE or other compatible format.

b) Import the TINY audio track into iTunes as well as the video loop if you have not done it yet.

c) Create a PlayList with the TINY audio track as well as the video track(s) you want. You can put as many copies of the movies into the play list as you want so you can have it play the TINY blank audio track very little.

d) Go to the iTunes settings for your iPod Touch and make sure that your play list is selected in both the MOVIES and MUSIC sections.

e) Sync and update your iPod Touch

f) Plug you iPod Touch into the TV with the RCA Video cables that you can purchase sepertly. (Apple Composite AV Cable)

g) Select PlayList under MUSIC and make sure it’s set to LOOP (the icon of arrows going in a circle under the title and to the left).

NOTE on playing video and slide-shows from an iPod Touch. Nothing will show up on the screen unless you have hit the play button. In the case of a ‘photo’ slide-show (another option for conventions) you can press play to have the images show up on screen and then pause if you are giving a presentation.

RESULT: The Movie(s) will now loop forever or as long as the batteries lasts all from your iPod Touch! Yay! There will be a black screen ‘pop’ when it plays the TINY audio clip, but you can make a PlayList of the same movie over and over again that playes for hours.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:29:02 am

The Western Digitial box loops. The last one I bought was right around $50 bucks. Works like a charm for trade shows.

Jeremy Doyle
http://www.jeremydoyle.com

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Oct 2, 2015 at 4:22:59 am

Thanks for all of the great information and advice. I found a couple of players on Amazon that will work nicely.

I now belive I can get my client to move boldly into 2010.

MP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]