BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Music use in slideshow

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier AyalaMusic use in slideshow
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 4:14:32 am

I have a client that wants me to make him a DVD with a video and a slideshow using content from his road trip. He wants me to use a song from a group called "Burning Sky" for the background music of the slideshow. What do I need to do make this happen, legally? When it comes to music right I'm completely lost. Please help, thank you.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Music use in slideshow
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 12:44:21 pm

Here's what ASCAP says:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Javier AyalaRe: Music use in slideshow
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 4:25:21 am

I read this and it makes it sound like this applies to a film that will be marketed. Does this also relate to this type of video,it's more like a wedding video that is being made for the memories. One person will see it with his family. It's not like I'm using the music to sell my work. I'm just adding what the client is asking for. I will abid to the regulations but I just want to know before I make the mistake of telling the client that I can not comply with his request. Also what if I can't find the group in either of the sites that were mentioned in the post made by ASCAP?

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Music use in slideshow
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 6:39:31 pm

Javier, you said that he's a "client" which means that you're getting paid to do this. That means the video is being "marketed". Also, it doesn't matter how many people are viewing the video. You would still be violating copyright laws.

Will you be caught? Probably not, although the posts here on Creative Cow can be viewed on Google. So if the Group "Burning Sky" happens to see your post, you may have a big problem on your hands.

There are other places that you can search for the rights to a song. I believe BZ rights gives free consultations.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved