BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

my question is regarding ‘host beneficiary’ relationship

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shez Hussainmy question is regarding ‘host beneficiary’ relationship
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:14:19 pm

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum.

I’m new to freelance videography & editing. Up until January of this year i’ve been editing my own shorts and editing videos for other filmmakers for low pay (as a favour).

i’ve had a tough few months in trying to get clients. I’ve successfully completed a promo for a restaurant, a real estate video & three videos for a fashion designer (one for her website and two short clips for her social media accounts).

Anyway my question is regarding ‘host beneficiary’ relationship.

I’m been thinking of approaching local printers & web developers. I’m going to offer my video services for a reduced price and in exchange ask them to send clients over to me for any video work.

My question is what other businesses should I approach, i’m hoping to attract new businesses in need of quality videos for their landing page.

Any input is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: my question is regarding ‘host beneficiary’ relationship
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:31:05 pm

Be careful in how you value your work when asking for a "trade-out" with some other vendor. You risk getting under-valued and making it hard to raise prices later.

Something I often suggest is to research the company you want to make videos for or with, find out what their pet causes and charities are. Then pick one you agree with and make some public service spots "on spec" and use these as a calling card to get a conversation going with the people in charge.

Return to posts index

Shez HussainRe: my question is regarding ‘host beneficiary’ relationship
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:01:52 pm
Last Edited By Shez Hussain on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:04:16 pm

I like the public service spot idea. But doing this tens of times on the spec would take too much of my time. Maybe once or twice.

Mark I wouldn’t offer a reduced price to the customers. I’d only offer it to the “vendor” so they get something out of it too. Or i could give the “vendor” a cut instead, thats If i’m hired for a job by their customer.

Any suggestions as to which type of companies would make great hosts for us videographers?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved