BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

What's with copyrighted music on YouTube?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
What's with copyrighted music on YouTube?
on Jun 9, 2015 at 10:20:47 pm

Today I received a call from a large medical facility. They want to use the song Happy from Pharrell. They referred me to other hospital videos on YouTube that used that song.

Of course I told them it's illegal to use copyrighted music, and for us to produce a video synced to that song. Yet there are several versions of videos for large companies using that song on YouTube. I'm shocked!

How is this possible?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: What's with copyrighted music on YouTube?
on Jun 9, 2015 at 10:29:23 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Jun 9, 2015 at 10:31:19 pm

[Greg Ball] "...there are several versions of videos for large companies using that song on YouTube....How is this possible?"

I can only envision one of two scenarios as to how that is possible...

1) They paid for the usage rights

or

2) They simply haven't been caught.... yet

There's at least one national spot that I can think of that uses "Happy"... and they no doubt paid for the rights, and paid big (but Big Pharma can afford it). But even they don't use Pharrell Williams' version...

On an unrelated note, would one of you who is more contract-savvy than me please review Pharrell's deal with the devil?... I'm very curious about the details. He has not aged a day in 15 years.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 10, 2015 at 2:40:24 pm

I agree with Terry's assessment. Why not just call the hospital marketing departments that are using them and ask how they got the rights? They'd likely tell someone in the industry if asked.

Al

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 10, 2015 at 2:46:48 pm

The down side of Pharrell's deal is he has to wear those hats.

BTW, "Happy" was first offered to Cee-lo Green, but his management said it wasn't a "good direction" for his career or something to do with it not being "gangsta" enough and too "fluffy".

If you said; "Cee-lo WHO?!?!" You now understand just how critical that choice was.

A bad person would file complaints against the other hospitals with you tube, get the music yanked.

A bad person would.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 10, 2015 at 2:57:41 pm

[Mark Suszko] "The down side of Pharrell's deal is he has to wear those hats."

But the upside is that he gets free Arby's.

I'm a fan, actually somehow he makes it work, as silly as it is. I once saw Pharrell performing at a formal event, and his tuxedo pants were shorts... well, more like capri pants. Somehow he pulled it off.

[Mark Suszko] "A bad person would file complaints against the other hospitals with you tube"

Yes, a bad person would. Bwaaahaaa haa haa <--evil laugh

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:29:40 pm

Hopefully we can have someone who knows something about how YouTube handles music contribute to this conversation. We always use licensed music and it seems to always get challenged and we have to jump through a few hoops to prove that we, in fact, have rights to the music.

BUT... I believe there are some instances where pop music is accepted provided a link to purchase said tune is shown with the video. I think it's a good bet that this is the case with only some of the older, lesser known pieces and there would be no possible way to do this with say a Beatles' song.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:20:12 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:20:28 pm

Here is a story about it from TechCrunch. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3376882?hl=en

It sounds like copyright holders can put their songs in the 'ad supported' program at YT which seems like it means people can use the song on YT, but they can't monetize it (the money generated by the ads goes to the rights holder). Pharrell's "Happy" is one of the songs in the ad supported program.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:23:20 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Hopefully we can have someone who knows something about how YouTube handles music contribute to this conversation. We always use licensed music and it seems to always get challenged and we have to jump through a few hoops to prove that we, in fact, have rights to the music."
I've had the same experience, over and over and over. They seem determined to put ads on my videos even though I'm using licensed music. As far as I can tell, YouTube doesn't care if you use copyrighted music as long as they can monetize it.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]