BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Dance show DVD

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver SmithDance show DVD
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 9:40:44 pm

Not sure if this is in the right part of the forum so my bad if its not.

I am producing a dance show DVD but I am unsure how to split it, do I do the full show plus a highlights or what? Ideas?

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Dance show DVD
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 9:07:14 am

Hey Oliver,

I can't see where you are based?

However, you will loose most of your profits the second you start producing the actual DVD - unless it is just to send out as a private show-reel to interested parties?

Instead, think VoD - Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, YouTube etc.

One model could be to have freemium trailer + the 1st chapter or highlights with a link to where the viewer can purchase access to the rest of the show.

In your production also consider filming some exclusive materials such as interviews with the stars, special advanced dance move etc, in return for renting the video and giving you their email address, the viewer get the exclusive access - this information will be valuable if you want to do a second program or add books, merchandise etc.

But production, distribution and pushing a physical DVD is in comparison a much more below the line expensive activity that will benefit neither you or the customer.

All the Best

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Dance show DVD
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 2:33:12 pm

Mads has some good promotional ideas there.

And he has a point about piracy of DVD's. You can't stop it. But you can use strategies to avoid the problem. One is to have a minimum pre-order number that will make your "nut" before disc one ever ships. You make the dance moms in charge of taking the pre-orders and collecting the money BEFORE the show. Your terms are: payment in advance, for this amount of pre-orders, or you keep the masters and nobody gets any, or, you don't even record it. You at least need an advance deposit that covers all your expenses up-front. That's the minimum. Enlisting the dance moms to be your order-takers, collectors, and enforcers here is the key to everything. You then don't care about piracy afterwards.

The other option I promote is to get the DVD sponsored or underwritten, the same way you do with yearbooks and the like. You give away the DVD's free, even encourage ripping and dubbing, but they have the sponsor's commercials on them as well as the content. Again, you make your profit up front, before release.

To your specific question, finally. It partly depends on how long the show is, and if you're using dual-layer DVD or BluRay. Because you can author the same content a number of ways, if you have the space on the disc for it.

If I was doing a one hour dance recital, I'd set up the menu with 2 options on the splash page: The "Highlights" montage button and a "play all beginning to end" button, and I'd also make each dance number a chapter, and the menu would mention you can play by chapters.

You should look into the legal ramifications of what you're doing: Do you actually have the rights to the music being used? I'll bet a Mel-O-Cream donut you don't. And they very likely don't.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Dance show DVD
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 6:56:47 pm

[Oliver Smith] "producing a dance show DVD"

There are a lot of intellectual property rights involved. And the editor and producer have to be careful of contributory infringement. Basically, you need the proper licenses in order to distribute the DVD. The amount of stuff is so painfully full of legalese, you really need a lawyer who specializes in that.

Having said that if this is more "my kids are in a show and I'm filming it," then that is a bit different because your risk position changes considerably -- doesn't make it legal. Please also note I am in the US.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved