BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Marketing Agency Clients

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike JeffsMarketing Agency Clients
by on May 28, 2015 at 8:55:38 pm

My question is spawned from reading a couple of threads on this forum.

A lot of us do work with/for Advertising and Marketing agencies. Most of said agencies focus in house work to print and online and leave video production to groups like us, when they need it. Yes more and more marketing groups are doing in house production work because of the lower cost of entry in production and post production equipment. But even those in house production groups have projects that require more production then they are capable doing.

With that background...

How do you attract those marketing companies to your services?

or how do you advertise to the advertisers? How do you let them know your group exists?

Mike Jeffs
Production Services Manager
KPBS San Diego

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Marketing Agency Clients
by on May 28, 2015 at 10:31:19 pm

That is exactly, precisely our situation. We work for a number of advertising agencies, they do all of their print (and sometimes web) in-house, and then farm their TV production work out to us. One or two of them do have some production capabilities in house, and they take care of lower-end stuff themselves (which is fine by me), and then have us do their higher-end stuff.

Our marketing to these companies has been purely word of mouth. Most of the time they have sought us out from finding out who did other work they they were aware of.

I don't think we've ever gone "knocking on doors" to solicit an ad agency, but I sure wouldn't be opposed to it and that's the best way (I would think) to reach ad agencies, rather that some other form of marketing.

The thing is (and this will not be true in, say, Chicago or New York), unless you live in a larger-than-medium-sized city there will be a finite number of agencies that are potential clients... ergo it is not outside the possibility of just making a list of all the potential ones, calling up and asking if you can drop by and briefly meet the creative director.

When you get an advertising agency client, work your butt off to do the best work you can for them... because in many cases an agency will choose a production company to do all their work for all their clients. Now and then you'll find one that likes to use multiple companies depending on the project (we have one like that) and that's more common in very big agencies... but by and large if advertising agencies have someone they like, they tend to stick with them for the majority of their work. We have one agency client that we work for occasionally, because they do have a couple of other companies (in other cities, they are a mutli-city agency) they like to use as well... but for the most part our agencies use us for all of their clients' work. So try to keep them very happy. Of course it's important to make an individual mom-n-pop client happy, but agencies much more so.

Also, join your local AdFed chapter and go to their monthly meetings (usually a lunch) and meet-n-greet and network.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Marketing Agency Clients
by on May 29, 2015 at 6:41:23 pm

We are in the same place as Todd....I'm curious....Todd do you do anything unique or fun after the project is delivered? I find that we deliver the final files, send the invoice and if we don't hear back and see the spot on TV all went well. Then we are on to our next project.

Do you have a routine thing you do after a project that let's them know you enjoyed the process etc, or do you work with them enough that you are all on the same page?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Marketing Agency Clients
by on May 30, 2015 at 3:45:29 am
Last Edited By Todd Terry on May 30, 2015 at 3:47:40 am

[Rich Rubasch] "Todd do you do anything unique or fun after the project is delivered?"

YES!... cash the check.

But seriously, no, not really. We work for the same agencies over and over again, and have for years (and often projects overlap so that we are continually working for the same client). You know, after a while it's just another gig. We make sure they leave happy, usually we just leave with a "See you next week"... or next month or next summer, or however soon we know the next project is coming up.

We do have one big client that we regularly do medium-sized projects with... but a couple or three times a year we do a really big one with them. After those we'll usually tell our client "Next week we're taking you to lunch, no business talk," and we've done that a few times. Sometimes they beat us to the punch and make the offer themselves.

But we've never really done anything "fun." Maybe we should. I'm thinking bowling. Or miniature golf is always good.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved