BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Multiple jobs on set and rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel StoneMultiple jobs on set and rates
by on Mar 28, 2015 at 1:58:12 pm

What's the rate protocol on asking a crew member to do multiple key jobs on a production?

For example, if I ask a camera operator to also take stills, do I pay him/her both rates? This is a tricky one because my cam op is also a still photographer by trade and I know still photogs have a completely different price structure.

Thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Multiple jobs on set and rates
by on Mar 28, 2015 at 2:21:25 pm

You don't pay extra for stills, at least not in my experience. The Photographer is already there getting paid to shoot video. They shoot off some stills as well, usually on the same camera but even if it's a second camera, it's still a digital transfer over to you.

If you have two separate people there, then it's two charges.

I've done productions both ways and have never paid the videographer extra for shooting stills while we're in production. Heck at the last shoot the sound guy was taking pictures too and gave me about 100 stills over 3 days.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Multiple jobs on set and rates
by on Mar 28, 2015 at 7:10:18 pm

Interesting take Walter. So if you were asked to take stills for a job and half way in they wanted you to run the Bcam on a TV spot shoot you would be happy to do both at the same rate? Or if your audio guy was recording audio and the DP asked him to run the slider on the Bcam the audio guy should charge the same day rate?

I think Daniel is right....not many DPs will shoot stills on top of the video (maybe behind the scenes at most) without negotiating a different rate. And not many still photographers will switch over to video without a different rate.

I think you need to approach the DP and find out what they are comfortable doing and how much they would charge, and not to assume they will just do it as part of their role on the set. I doubt that is the norm....except on Walter's shoots.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Multiple jobs on set and rates
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 2:39:38 pm

There is the concept that once you're paying someone their day or hourly rate, the exact nature of the work doesn't matter. If you want to pay my hourly rate to sweep the floor, instead of to composite a shot, it's a wasteful practice economically, but it's your money... as long as I agree to do it.

I would charge a bit higher rate to direct than to just operate a camera, only because it's more work and more responsibility. But would I charge extra to snap some BTS production stills on the side? No.

However, you can only divide your attention so far on these things, so, I would need things to be clear as to which job is the *primary* task, and which is the secondary. If I'm too caught up in shooting stills to notice my audio levels are pegging, then I've failed as the audio guy you hired. If my audio is clean and perfect, and I missed a great cameo here or there on the stills, because I was being diligent in the primary task as a priority, them's the breaks.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Multiple jobs on set and rates
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 8:29:56 pm

[Daniel Stone] " ask a camera operator to also take stills"

What kind of stills? If it's "behind the scenes" type of stuff that's gong on facebook or whatever, just snapping them, then that's different entirely from a photographer's deliverable of Image Frames on the Mamiya Leaf.

Return to posts index

Daniel StoneRe: Multiple jobs on set and rates
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 11:02:21 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. I've decided to pay him the higher of the two rates plus a kit fee. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't treating him unfairly.

The photos are unedited client deliverables. The DP lit the scene, the director directed the shot and the camera op filmed the talent as instructed. We then had him do the same thing with a still camera.

Really appreciate the feedback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved