BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Motion Picture TV and Theatre Directory worth listing in ?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike JeffsMotion Picture TV and Theatre Directory worth listing in ?
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:38:54 pm

Not sure how many people still get or even use the MPE directory. I am curious on the groups thoughts on whether it is till worth it to purchase a listing or not?

I have some marketing and advertising budget and I am trying to figure out where to best get our name out into the online public eye. Any other thoughts of where to put or name so it can get seen would be great.

Background I work for the outside production arm of the San Diego Based PBS station we do video production and stage rentals for outside clients. We are a income generator for the station. I understand there is some hesitation in some markets about a PBS station trying to compete with for profit entities but since we are a self sustaining department we have no choice but compete as we would exsist otherwise.

Mike Jeffs
Production Services Manager
KPBS San Diego

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: Motion Picture TV and Theatre Directory worth listing in ?
by on Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00:28 am

I'm based in NYC, but my experience has been that these directories have given me zero business.

I've stopped all my listings in them after several years of no results.

They were all very sad about how my business would obviously suffer.

I'm very happy not to flush my money down their toilets.

Post production is not an afterthought!

Return to posts index

Ned MillerRe: Motion Picture TV and Theatre Directory worth listing in ?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 1:27:04 pm

A directory ad like that one would be a total waste of money. However, you can get a free, more effective ad by listing in your state and city's production directory. I imagine they are free, at least here in IL.

Anyone needing a studio the size of the PBS station is by definition "in the biz". They know where to look. If they want to cover their bases they will Google: San Diego Video Studios. Your problem is your site will have low SEO compared to the studios that have been in business a long time and have tweaked their SEO, you will never, ever catch up.

What you can do with the seed money you were about to waste on that ad is to hire a Certified Google Adword Agency. These are consultants who have gone through Google's course and know the intricate tricks for a Google Adword campaign. It is very complex to do it on your own so paying a hourly fee for a couple of hours to have it set up is worth it. This way when someone Googles "San Diego Video Studio" your PBS station's ad will appear either on the top or side next to the competitors with great SEO. This is the only hope you have to appear on the same first page. If you need help you can email me privately. A friend of mine does it for car dealerships and there is no more competitive business than car sales. Google makes it seem easy but it isn't, you need an experienced expert to set it up and monitor the first few months.

Also, make allies of the studios, somehow become their friend. When a client needs a studio and everywhere they inquire is booked for that day the clients will ask for their referral. Somehow arrange an agreement with them to trade referrals.

Our local PBS station tried what you are looking to do but priced themselves too high. Also, clients were afraid of being bumped at the last minute. In sum, what you are trying to do is very difficult because the station will have a fixed schedule of production times and they're asking you to fill in the gaps with rentals. It would only work if you greatly under price your competitors. Also, most studio days need a pre-light or very early arrival on the shoot day, then at least a ten hour day, so I don't see a PBS station studio being viable.

Good luck

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved