BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Covering a meeting room inexpensively

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Covering a meeting room inexpensively
on Mar 11, 2015 at 6:59:38 pm

Looking for a suggestion for a bulletproof and cheap solution to recording a municipal government meeting with a single, wide-angle camera and a DVR, hooked into their PA system. This would not be so much for broadcast viewing as just to make a permanent record. Want a recording capacity to cover up to an eight hour session. Budget is under a grand. Someone suggested adapting a car DVR for this. Interested in any suggestions or lateral thinking.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Covering a meeting room inexpensively
on Mar 11, 2015 at 7:03:24 pm
Last Edited By walter biscardi on Mar 11, 2015 at 7:04:24 pm

Canon Vixia series. I think the camera is around $299. Shoot's HD. Put a large SD Card in it and you can probably record about the entire 8 hours. Has HDMI output so you can send the picture to the PA system. They have a lot of pro features on them like manual audio, white balance, exposure controls. I use the HF-400 for all my WallyCam videos.

Mine also has audio input so I can run my Zoom H6 into it for clean audio.

Here's a link to one. I think I can record 4 hours on a 64GB card or something like that.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-vixia-hf-r52-32gb-hd-flash-memory-camcord...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 11, 2015 at 8:05:59 pm

It's going to be unmanned, kind of a push-button, walk-away-come-back -in-eight-hours kind of thing. But the vixia looks like something I might want for my own home movies.

I'm leaning towards a basic security DVR and camera, 400-900 dollar range, but was also thinking about a GoPro Hero2 or better, running off an AC adaptor. 20-dollar 64 gig gig card equals up to eight hours record time. The hitch was trying to find a cable that would allow AC power AND external audio, thru the same connector. Might only be able to do one or the other. Unless someone knows of a work-around? Also, will a go pro burn up running for so long, day after day?

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Mar 11, 2015 at 11:32:50 pm

Hey Mark,

If they don't want an operator, then I would suggest a VC camera (Video Conferencing) solution. Anything else will force you to change your cell-number, favourite lunch spot and you would have to move to a new home...

Most comes with the feature to record long sessions in HD to central storage.
Some of the latest models from Panasonic does 4K, which will allow you to do digital zooms on speaker in the edit.
If you are really flash, the camera might even auto follow the automated microphone system.
And if set up correctly, the meeting room "assistant" should be able to start and stop the recording.
The main part should be that you don't need to manually collect the recording, and with the right system, anyone with a "session password" should be able to dial in and watch live and/or pre-recorded sessions.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Mar 12, 2015 at 12:58:22 am

I have the canon vixia hf-r50 similar to Walter and it's pretty idiotproof. Will record 9 hours in MP4 format on a 32gig card. Audio in jack. Around $249. 1 unit, 1 connection. Bulletproof.

Steve

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 12, 2015 at 3:56:33 am

The audio connectivity is a plus. But the Vixia doesn't have a fisheye lens to grab the entire room in one shot.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 12, 2015 at 3:25:12 pm

[Mark Suszko] "...the Vixia doesn't have a fisheye lens..."

If the camera is otherwise perfect for your use, don't discount it because of the FoV of the native glass...

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Fisheye-LEGRIA-Digital-Camcorders/dp/B0026JZ2A...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Mar 12, 2015 at 3:39:15 pm
Last Edited By Steve Kownacki on Mar 12, 2015 at 3:40:47 pm

Shot a still this morning - from the projector to right wall is 24 feet, cam to podium 41 feet, cam to back wall 47 feet to give you an idea. I like Todd's comment, but this cam has no filter threads so you'd need to rig it a bit, but it is possible. (Image not showing in eamail, need to read the thread)

Steve

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 12, 2015 at 4:50:58 pm

Hm, that's not too bad. And it would be less "fiddlesome" than adapting go-pros or dash cam/DVR combos. Maybe I should re-consider and forward this info to the relevant people.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 6, 2015 at 3:51:04 am

Having shot a whole lot of professional speakers in rooms like this, you know what I can't keep staring at? That chair in the upper left corner of the still.

It implies that there's a row of chairs to the left.

Which means with Murphy's Law, your presenter WILL decide to go have a nice long one-on-one chat with the person in the third chair over in that row. Leaving you with 10 minutes of footage of nothing but the back of peoples heads.

Ahh, the joys of recording meetings!

I miss it. Not.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]