BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Can I make a living doing something as "basic" as this?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kamal Abdallah
Can I make a living doing something as "basic" as this?
on Jan 17, 2015 at 5:08:31 am

For me, video editing, and "production" is all about expression, and I believe there is beauty in simplicity.. I don't like using too many effects.. I like to keep things as real as possible.. and so, I'm not particularly interested in or feel the need learn how to use software like Adobe After Effects.. I used Sony Vegas to create this clip.

So, yea, back to the question in the title..can I?

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: Can I make a living doing something as "basic" as this?
on Jan 17, 2015 at 2:26:25 pm

Hey Kamal,

Yes, you can, but maybe you shouldn't be using footage and taking apart edits unless you have permission to do so?
If you want to make it as a professional then the first step have to be to respect the creativity & copyright of others.

However, the good news is that there are plenty of people out there such as DoP's. actors and directors looking for a person like you, just to put their footage into order, even show-reels, test adverts, music promos and/or short films. And yes, on the way you should take the time to learn all the tools required for a professional looking production.

Good Luck.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Kamal Abdallah
on Jan 17, 2015 at 2:47:21 pm

Hey Mads,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I fully agree, no disrespect intended. That video I shared was just for expression, I do not intend to make money off of it.

When you say DOP, does that mean I'd need to do the filming and operate the cameras? If so, that's not what I really want. I enjoy the editing process, because it allows me to work, for the most part, alone. I find that I deliver my best when I'm alone.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:32:24 pm

Hey Kamal,

[Kamal Abdallah] "When you say DOP, does that mean I'd need to do the filming and operate the cameras? If so, that's not what I really want. I enjoy the editing process, because it allows me to work, for the most part, alone. I find that I deliver my best when I'm alone."

That's fair enough, but you won't be working anywhere unless you have footage to work with, hence why you need to make friends with the other guys including the DOP (Director of Photography). Just keep in mind, that most people in production, apart form the post people, don't like to be in a dark room. I think that you'll find that most DOP's would rather be elsewhere - so your perfect partner would be one of those.

Although working in a good team will improve your editing style, so don't dismiss the process without trying it first :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 18, 2015 at 1:16:02 am

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Although working in a good team will improve your editing style, so don't dismiss the process without trying it first :-)"

More important, working alone is rarely an option in practice. It's not uncommon to have a client or boss sitting next to you. Certainly in general, this is among the most collaborative creative fields. Many people are always gong to have something to say about your work, usually while you're DOING the work.

So doing editing for a living like the video in your example? Absolutely. Working alone? Highly unlikely. It may be a happy surprise some day, but for the most part, set your expectations to be working with lots of people in some capacity or other.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]