BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

About screen recording apps for PC?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoAbout screen recording apps for PC?
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 4:47:47 pm

Some of my clients want to make their own screen recordings, but they don't have any recording apps installed. They are really low-end users, both technically and financially speaking, so if they can't afford our lowest rate, they really can't afford to do it, period. But I still want to help them out.

So, in that context, what's a decent freeware or shareware PC screen recording app, easy and intuitive to use, that records audio from the PC's mic input jack and delivers a decent quality video file I can deal with in FCP7 or FCPX?

On the mac side I would just tell them to use the built-in Quicktime screen recorder, but 99 percent of these clients are on commodity-sourced office PC's. They won't be able to arrange a purchase of software, but just maybe, they can get permission and IT department assistance to download a freeware PC screen recorder app. So which of those would you suggest?

The notion is to let these low end users make their own rough screen recordings, then pass them along to me, to clean them up and author them into DVD or web clip formats. I wanna keep these clients engaged with me, even at this low level, on the theory that one day they will have bigger projects with actual budgets I can help them with. It's worked before. :-)

I'm working on getting a new scan converter to use on jobs like these eventually, but our current one is only SD quality, so screen recordings from software apps are, for the moment going to give me better quality.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: About screen recording apps for PC?
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:08:38 pm

I can't swear to the quality or workability of video... but for audio only recording we use Total Recorder, a little desktop app that records on the fly whatever sound the computer is outputting. It's not free, but if I recall it's very cheap (actually there is a free or trial version, but it watermarks recorded files with a tone every 30 seconds or so)..

I mention them because they do make a version that does video as well as audio... and if it works half as well as the audio-only version, it'd be more than fine... the audio only version is simple and flawless.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: About screen recording apps for PC?
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:49:35 pm

Not free, but $54 isn't bad. Looks like a viable candidate, Todd. Still holding out for freeware, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved