BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Great interview on UAVs in Video Productions

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich RubaschGreat interview on UAVs in Video Productions
by on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:30:48 pm

http://tvtechnology.com/news/0086/video-production-with-uavs-a-conversation...

Takaway? Being a pilot of a real helicopter gives you a leg-up!

Closed sets, people! Use your heads out there.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Great interview on UAVs in Video Productions
by on Oct 24, 2014 at 9:35:44 pm

That sounds like the proper way to do it. I'd only ask that the UAV also carry a transponder so other aircraft and control towers could detect it as necessary.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Great interview on UAVs in Video Productions
by on Oct 24, 2014 at 10:11:41 pm

Interesting.

While the guy says "many of the flight rules outlined by the FAA are similar to, or the same as, those for manned aerial flight," in many ways the UAV rules would appear to be much more restrictive than a manned aircraft.

Helicopter pilots for news organizations routinely fly solo (including camera operation), and they certainly don't file flight plans three days in advance (or maybe they are just scoff laws?). I'd be surprised if most of them file flight plans at all (you don't have to file a flight plan to fly... most 'round town and sightseeing flights for example would never bother with a flight plan). Nor does the PIC of a "real" aircraft have to have "experience and recent piloting time with the particular model," not that that's a bad idea. As for having a "certified Visual Observer," what's that "certification," exactly? And who is doing it, the FAA?

One puzzler is "must be a licensed private pilot with a current third-class medical certificate"... but licensed for... what? Is fixed wing ok?...or must they be a helicopter pilot? There are certainly scads more fixed-wing pilots than helicopter pilots, and as hard as helicopter piloting is (much more difficult than fixed-wing, in my very limited experience with helicopters), I know several helicopter pilots who would be clueless in a fixed-wing plane (most are military who went straight to choppers and never had any fixed-wing training at all).

Still a lot of gray area....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Oct 27, 2014 at 2:27:46 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Oct 27, 2014 at 2:29:38 pm

Fixed-wing and helo pilots I fly with may not have to file a flight plan for our photo flights, but they still tell the traffic controller their intentions, even for VFR stuff at low level.

We did one job where the point was to show what a pilot sees - or more to the point, CAN'T see - when it's a foggy day and broadcast towers and especially their cables are not brightly marked with paint and lights. So our "flight plan" was to take off in near zero-zero fog and fly directly towards the local TV antenna tower, and slowly orbit it to correlate visibility to relative distance and height. This was for a safety campaign to promote making these towers and their deadly, near-invisible cables more visible to pilots, and to teach new pilots that missing the tower itself is only half the problem.

I had a lav mic inside the earcup of our David Clark headphones, running the intercom audio into our betacam deck. You can hear the pilot advising ATC of our intentions... then, ATC, after a pause, comes back with:

"Ah, Alpha David, say again to please confirm, your flight plan is to fly TOWARDS the tower? Over????"

"Alpha David, That's a roger to approach the tower to a visual sighting, then orbit at nine hundred AGL for a photo pass for a safety video, over."

(long pause)

"Roger Alpha David, radar shows clear on your present course, advise you approach with caution, please advise when departing the airspace."
(let us know you didn't hit it)

That flight was spooky, but spookier still was coming back to the airfield and having to hover in real zero-zero white-out conditions on instruments, not being able to tell if we were up, down, or sideways, for five minutes that felt like an hour, before we could be cleared to land.

My job is fun sometimes.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Great interview on UAVs in Video Productions
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 8:52:05 pm

By the way, if anyone wants to start "dronin' on," I am considering selling my Phantom.

It's a great toy and a fun piece of gear, but I think it's time to move up to a bigger dual-controller rig.

The Phantom is still perfect for one-man-band use and is great for projects like corporate, weddings, etc., (if it were legal, that is... wink wink). Plus it's just fun as heck to fly (and easy).

Mine is the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+, which is the highest-end one in the Phantom line... the one with the integrated 3-axis stabilized gimbal and 1080p camera.

It's also brand-spanking-new in the box... and never flown except for one successful 5-minute test flight (my previous Phantom had a nagging GPS issue and DJI sent me a brand-new one, which I haven't had any need to use yet).

I'm not trying to turn this post into a classified ad, just thought I'd mention it. If anyone is interested in learning more you can contact me off forum.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2014 at 2:55:52 am

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blog/2014/11/18/faa-can-regulate-rc-aircra...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]