BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

These stunts will ruin it for the good guys

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
These stunts will ruin it for the good guys
on Oct 13, 2014 at 9:46:53 pm

http://www.wkow.com/story/26773360/2014/10/13/uw-police-investigated-drone-...

Why? Did they really need the shot? Just thought it would be cool? This kind of recklessness will ruin our chances of introducing this new technology to our industry. The FAA will make it extremely hard to shoot anything in our area if goofballs like this fly over public populated areas. Please stop doing this!

Geez.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: These stunts will ruin it for the good guys
on Oct 14, 2014 at 1:47:46 pm

So my kid comes home from work the other day and says a drone quadcopter smashed into the side of his building. There was no harm done but they are holding it for retrieval by the owner. I put some feelers out, asking if anybody lost a drone that particular day.

There were three fly-aways, none of them were the one that hit the store. In one day, one town. REminds me of the CB radio boom in the 70's, when so many casual beginners jumped into it, they made the band unusable for a time.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23:20 pm

I remember that issue with the CB radios because I was getting into that back then and it was a mess.

Similar to this...

Aerials don't work for every shoot, just like a doorway dolly is not for every shot. But sometimes the subject sort of requires it or benefits greatly from it.

Should be a closed set, not over people, not a public place, and within a few hundred feet from the operator. Farther than that and you don't really have good line of sight.

Once the novelty wears off hopefully the wheat is separated from the chaff and responsible production companies can get licensed to fly.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:36:16 pm

True, Rich, but in this early wild west frontier stage is where the perceptions of the public and the regulators/authorities are formed, and once formed, hard to change. The bad actors, goofballs, troublemakers and dilettantes who don't follow any safety or professional guidelines, or get any training, grab all the headlines and create the basis for the conversation... and the rules that follow could end up being overly-restrictive and confining in response to the early abusers. Then we're stuck with the regulatory environment that creates. I think the way to get ahead of the situation is to forcefully and actively take a leadership role in promoting standards and practices, showing that photogs can be self-regulating.

Because if you as a professional class of people can't demonstrate self-regulation, I guarantee you, others, without your needs and goals in mind, will regulate FOR you, and you're NOT going to like some of it.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 14, 2014 at 5:05:01 pm

[Mark Suszko] "...if you as a professional class of people can't demonstrate self-regulation..."

Which, in so many different types of businesses, has worked sooo well in the past.

Sadly, not.

On a side note, I was down at the gulf coast for several days last week. I had my little quadcopter with me (DJI Phantom 2 Vision+), but was a bit too chicken to fly it except a little bit in an inland parking lot. I had envisioned all this cool seaside shooting... but then I remembered how every beach shoot we ever did left us picking sand out of the gear for weeks no matter how careful we were to keep things clean (how did those Baywatch production crews ever get their deposits back??). I didn't want to risk an unplanned landing and getting even one grain of sand or salt in the wrong place, especially since I'm on my second Phantom and fourth camera unit/gimbal. The gimbals seem awfully susceptible to the least little thing, and I didn't want to regret the flight for a few minutes' worth of fun.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 14, 2014 at 6:50:16 pm

Ha! I drove around for 2 hours on Saturday around golden hour looking for some harvesting or a pretty barn or church...even a stream. But came up empty. Didn't feel comfortable just pulling over and buzzing the steeple of a church. No one around (closed set) but no permission. And after the Badger game debacle didn't want people thinking it was me....how would I even be able to deny it?

I am a pretty good flyer so I don't worry too much about the landing. For me it's more about depth perception and knowing how close I REALLY am to the tree or steeple or silo...whatever. But fun to fly for sure. My backyard is my playground. Oh, and the RC park just around the corner from my house.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 14, 2014 at 7:19:15 pm

Slightly interesting side story...

As luck would have it, we are in the middle of production of a marketing video for an area research university, and right now one of their particular programs does a lot of work with RC helicopters as well as robots and such... learning about circuits and logistics and programming and all that jazz.

They have a BUNCH of Phantoms... probably 15 or 20 or more. I didn't count them, but there was a whole room full of them.

So, we go out to get some footage of them flying. We were taken to a big concrete pad that had what was probably a 30-foot tall chain link fence around it (looked like it might have been a tennis court in a previous life). And... a net stretched across the top.

This one kid we were shooting is a grad student, works with these things every day, and has been RC flying since he was a child... he could practically write his name in the air with the helicopter without even thinking about it. But he (and all the others) are only allowed to fly inside this enclosure... the university's legal eagles absolutely forbid them to "free fly" at all anywhere on campus. Period.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 14, 2014 at 7:44:48 pm

Got that right. They are playing by the rules. And these things can take a finger off!

UW Madison has a gym they use for this as well. I saw about 10 of them in the air at the same time in the gym and I would not have gone in there! They developed many of them on their own so they all looked cobbled together! Amazingly they all flew pretty well for the most part.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:14:42 pm

Multiple ones flying indoors like that is even more impressive... gotta have pilots good enough to fly without GPS.

I'm a decent flyer... but am pretty reliant on the satellites, for sure.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:50:25 pm

Why use a human operator at all?

This happened not much later: these are not CGI, (except in maybe the closing shots) they are real drones flown in 3-d space

behind the scenes:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]