BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Film job pricing advice needed

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BoulangerFilm job pricing advice needed
by on Sep 14, 2014 at 10:05:55 pm

My friend and I have been asked to create the following for a film client:

Two to two and a half minute trailer
Five CGI effects
A one minute animation
A poster

All this will be done in the Adobe suite. It's a pretty low budget. We were wondering if someone could give us some ideas on how much we should charge for this work and what would be fair both to us and our client. Any feedback is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Film job pricing advice needed
by on Sep 14, 2014 at 11:53:08 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Sep 14, 2014 at 11:54:45 pm

This is going to sound like an incredibly smartass and unhelpful answer, but honestly it's not (or at least I'm not trying to be)...

Your estimate for the job should simply be YOUR RATE x THE NUMBER OF HOURS expected to complete the job.

I'm going to assume that you have a rate for your work. If not, obviously you need to establish one. What that is, I couldn't say... I don't know your geographic area, expertise, skill level or resources available to you... all of which would go into determining what a fair hourly rate for your work is.

Also, you might have multiple rates that you have to figure since there are different types of work going on, so make sure to account for that. You might, for example, have different rates for strict editing as opposed to CGI effects (we don't, but you might). Or you might have different rates for the strictly print work, the poster (we definitely do). You'll have to estimate your number of hours for each type of work at each rate, if you have different ones.

We also don't have much of a clue as to the scope of the work. A "one minute animation" could be something that takes an hour. It could also take 100 hours, or a lot more... depending on what it is.

AND... when you give your estimate, give just that... an estimate, and it should spell out that it includes up to X amount of hours, and that overages due to client changes, revisions, re-dos, etc., are billable at your usual rates. And it should spell out your terms (I'd suggest some percentage upon booking the job, with the remainder due upon delivery).

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved