BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

NFL Films -- well, minus the "film" part

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
NFL Films -- well, minus the "film" part
on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:13:17 am

This news is a couple of weeks old, but I found it interesting.

One of the last holdouts, NFL Films has finally ditched real film... and will, for the first time, shoot this season with 30 Arri Amiras instead of 16mm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/sports/football/5-decades-later-nfl-films...

Interesting.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
Re: NFL Films -- well, minus the "film" part
on Aug 25, 2014 at 3:12:43 pm

One of the coolest things in Sports Editing to do was NFL Projects because their footage was so incredible. However, if they continue with the same DI process, it should be an interesting transition for them.

Long Live the Cow
Roy Schneider
Executive Producer
Vintage Production Group
516-659-4596

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:30:19 pm

I remember reading an article about NFL films several years ago in American Cinematographer. They shoot more footage than many production houses AND TV stations. This on the news that Hollywood is trying to hold onto film and is agreeing to buy film from a horribly failing Kodak over the years. At this stage, I'm not sure it makes sense to go ahead with film. I love film, though, I can't imagine it being as practical anymore. I'm getting better footage from digital now (or footage I'm more happy with than film). :(

I can't imagine having to pay for film-to-digital transfers anymore or having to store it or dealing with a bad film batch, etc. I've replaced all those matters with brand new, digital problems like bad sensors, dead batteries, bad cards, bad drive sectors, copying to multiple archives... ;)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:13:25 pm

I love film... and a big part of me hates to see it go. But I do completely understand it.

I haven't shot film in several years, and there's still quite a few cans of 35mm taking up space in the fridge here, and probably will for a long time. I bought all the re-cans from the last season of The Sopranos a few years ago (50,000 feet) and because of that was able to shoot a lot more projects on 35mm that probably otherwise wouldn't have warranted it, or been able to afford it.

I doubt I will ever do it again, though... there's just no need to. Nor will I ever get sucked into the "film vs. video" argument again, it's pointless.

I miss it, though... weirdly enough, mostly the smell of the stock, and the quiet whirring of the camera.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]