BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Editing chair choices

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Editing chair choices
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:38:50 pm

I have a doc's note telling the boss to get me an ergonomic chair that fits me better and supports the back better. Standard office chairs are not quite deep enough back-to-front on the seat cushion, by about a hands'-breadth, and and won't elevate quite enough to get my long legs straight, by about that much, either, so the legs get curled up in a knee-straining twist under me all day. Looking for a recommendation on a chair that will do the job with good ergonomics and support and not break the bank, that is easily sourced thru typical procurement mechanisms.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Editing chair choices
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:47:13 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:47:45 pm

We swear by the Herman Miller Aeron chairs in our suites.

I worked for years in a gawd-awful hundred-buck chair from Office Depot, just not knowing any better. Finally got the Aerons about four or five years ago, and the difference is night and day.

I was directing a shoot in San Francisco a few years ago we were in their big 911 call center... and there were rows and rows of Aerons. I was surprised that what is no-doubt a budget-conscious government organization would be popping a thousand bucks each on a chair, but for people who sit all day they are worth every penny.

Fortunately, I think they are actually a little less expensive now. 10 year warranty, if I recall the sales pitch.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:53:57 pm

Was curious enough to look 'em up... these are our exact chairs...

http://store.hermanmiller.com/store/servlet/DynamicKitDisplayView?langId=-1...

Base price is $689 but they way we have them configured (tilt, adjustable arms and back support, etc.), they come in at $929. Again, not cheap... but worth it.

Those are Herman Miller's prices, resellers might have them for less.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 6, 2014 at 8:21:43 pm

There was a glut on the market of lightly-used Aeron chairs for sale after the dot-com boom busted. HM now sells a couple more advanced chairs, including one that comes with it's own "spine",... this is also dropping the cost on the Aeron's a bit, I imagine. I don;t need the bleeding-edge model, long as my spine and knees are happy. Good to know it works for ya.

We sit in Aeron knock-offs now, but like I said, they don't adjust enough for someone with my extra-long legs.

And no; Walter Murch can stand all day if he wants, but that is NOT for me. Not happening.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 6, 2014 at 8:33:24 pm

[Mark Suszko] "We sit in Aeron knock-offs now"

Oh you need the real deal, my friend. Honestly, your spine will thank you.

And when you are filling out the requisition paperwork you can sneak through that Noguchi, too....

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Noguchi-Table

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 6, 2014 at 9:31:06 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Aug 6, 2014 at 9:32:09 pm

No room in my new office for the Noguchi... I recently got downsized from a large office with a killer view of the capitol building... to a windowless 6 by 18 foot editing bay/ office combo, a 3x3 foot sub-square of which now constitutes my "office". But all is not lost: One wall looks like I could fix it up in a tiki bar motif to show off some of my mug collection. (I collect tiki mugs, and Hawaiiana, mostly of the tacky 50's-60's "happa haoli'" variety). And I have a red Swingline stapler that will accent it nicely. I'll send you pics once everything is settled down and decorated the way I want it. May take some time, as we're hip-deep in covering our State Fair right now.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 6, 2014 at 9:36:21 pm

Second the Aeron. Changed my sitting life.

The seat cover color and back fabric are available in alternate fabrics iirc.

Maybe theres a company with a nice "banana leaf" motif available for you, Mark?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:19:24 pm

I couldn't afford the Aeron chairs (use them at pretty much every job), but I can't have a padded chair. There are similar ones...and the one I got is this one from Office Depot:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-9000-Ser...

Same mesh back and seat. Feels great. $350 and not $900.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Aug 7, 2014 at 8:46:45 am

Hey Mark,

I second Todd too on the Herman Miller chair.

Sitting on a 11 year old (chair) whilst writing this - still as good as new. Originally 3 was purchased for the editors in the old company. One broke within the 5 year warranty and it was fixed without any hassle.

Alternatively, get a motor on your table so you can stand up and work...

:-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 7, 2014 at 1:55:59 pm

The consoles are all built-in, Mads, so that would have to be a HECK of a motor...

And no, I'm not going to work standing up, in any case.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:05:05 pm

The Aeron is great. Fantastic warranty as well, my seat broke after 8 years and they replaced it, no questions asked. So 12 years of use, no more back problems, for about $80/yr.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:27:25 am

We're still using these same chairs from COSTCO in our edit suites.

http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/2011/06/anatomy-of-an-edit-suite/

Very comfortable even for a long day of editing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:47:11 am

Walter, my current chair is very like your Costco chair. It just doesn't elevate the extra five inches I need, or have the extra five inched back-to-front to give the thighs better support.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:50:32 pm

[walter biscardi] "We're still using these same chairs from COSTCO in our edit suites."

Walter, I know you have used the adjustable edit bay desks for a while so you can avoid sitting all day and do some standing. Just getting out of the chair for a while can be great for the back. How is that situation working? Are people using the feature, do you like it?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 10, 2014 at 11:48:05 am

[Jeff Breuer] " Just getting out of the chair for a while can be great for the back. How is that situation working? Are people using the feature, do you like it?"

I've had those desks going on 6 years now I think. I LOVE them. I stand a good portion of the day and Kylee stands for a while usually each day too. Up to each editor, every edit suite has the same Antho Fit Console so they all have the option to sit or stand.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:51:00 pm

Mark -

You might want to read this article from Haworth on ergonomic seating. I have two Haworth chairs that I bought slightly used from a NH state surplus outlet, and they are almost infinitely adjustable.

http://www.haworth.com/docs/default-source/documents-files-very-task/ergono...

In addition to the chair, it's very important to do regular computer and desk stretches, and my Osteopath tells me that getting up and walking every half hour or so (even for a very short time), as well as changing the seat height every couple of days helps save the back.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:37:14 pm

I sit in a 1989 Chromecraft that I bought for $10 at the local thrift store. Sold as a rock and fairly comfortable. I've used the Aeron before and really didn't like it. It has a hard frame around the border of the seat which causes pain and loss of blood flow when I tuck my right ankle under my left thigh. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed those things!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 10, 2014 at 1:47:34 am

I just picked up a SwingChair on craigslist for $80 bucks. I've only had it for a day, but so far I love it. The armrests are very adjustable and the seat and back 'follow' you wherever you go!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]