BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Good People doing Bad Things

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd TerryGood People doing Bad Things
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 2:43:54 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Jul 25, 2014 at 2:45:50 pm

This just makes me scratch my head so I thought I'd share it...

I just read this article about a documentary about the never-made Nicolas Cage Superman movie (Kevin Smith / Tim Burton).

They are trying to scare up funding to finish the doc so they released a teaser trailer (apparently in theatres).

It just dumbfounds me how BAD from a technical standpoint it appears to be.

Weird (and if you ask me amateurish) composition, shots that are crooked/unlevel (and not intentional Dutch angles, I'm sure), interviews framed all "wrong," poor lighting, and horrible sound. The sound is the killer... in some instances you can see people wearing lavalier mics, but it still sounds like they were taking audio from.... wait for it... an on-camera mic. PEOPLE!!!

Anywho, here's the trailer...

And here's the article...

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/unfinished-documentary-about-unfinished-nicola...

Sigh... what's up with people...........

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Good People doing Bad Things
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:06:17 pm

Everything you need to know about this project, you will know by watching the amazingly entertaining tale Kevin Smith tells of his scriptwriting experience on Superman, and dealing with Mr. Peters (Mr. Striesand)

If you have not seen this yet, leave the cave, get to a computer and watch this, NOW:

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Good People doing Bad Things
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:25:44 pm

Can't say I really have any interest in the project... I was just amazed at the production values (or lack thereof) of a supposedly professionally-produced documentary (especially the camera work).

It could be that the subject matter was supposed to outweigh the quality. The production values in documentary "Sketches of Frank Gehry" were pretty low, but a lot of the work was handheld DV handycam shooting by Sydney Pollack himself wagging the camera around... and the subject was riveting, so it was somewhat forgivable.

Maybe it's a little like the demo videos you see for production equipment... jibs, sliders, camera support equipment. With the exceptions of Redrock and Zacuto, seems like just about every single demo video for film gear is pure amateur hour. I've always ranted that these people are professionals in our own industry... yet the videos are terrible. I think you can only take the "cobbler with shabby shoes" analogy so far...

Oh well....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Good People doing Bad Things
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:34:27 pm

I agree a lot with that last part, about weak demos for pro gear. It really makes me skeptical about the gear, if the people making the demo are that bad.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Good People doing Bad Things
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:47:22 pm

Some of them just seem to have blinders on.

A while back, a year or so ago, a traveling equipment rep stopped by to demo a piece of lighting gear. This was already a piece of gear I was familiar with, and actually pretty interested in, although I thought it was a little pricey. On his company's own website, their own demo videos are HORRIBLE. Like, they're bad even by YouTube standards.

I casually mentioned to the guy, "Hey, why don't you give me one of those things... I'll make you a killer demo video using it and you can replace the one that's on your website" (and money-wise they would have been getting far the better end of that deal). He responded with "Huh? What's wrong with our video? We like it."

Sigh.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Good People doing Bad Things
by on Jul 26, 2014 at 2:41:51 am

To be fair, it's not ALL the audio. It's about 50/50 good bad. But yeah, it can use better framing, and an audio guy that's on the ball. But, it does appear to be a passion project, so no money handed out to those who did the interviews up to this point. Or if so...very little. Now looking for finishing funds.

But yeah...Kevin Smith's story about this is the best. The filmmaker could have done it all with Kevin as the host. Unless Kevin is too much into his comic book store and show about his comic book store now...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David HowardRe: Good People doing Bad Things
by on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:24:16 am

haha. weird video. Are they actually making this ?

Redefined Media

Video Production Sydney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]