BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Graphic Design Branding.

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Callum Morrison
Graphic Design Branding.
on Jun 24, 2014 at 7:05:00 am

Hi

I have been doing random design work around study for a few years now, and have never really settled on a correct name for branding. I feel my name; "Callum Morrison" may be awkward to remember, and it doesn't really stand out.

For a long time I went with the name "XiDuelFilms", not great, but there was a reason for it at the time.

I since changed to XD Graphic Design, however I am not sure if this is a great name either. Can I get opinions on this?

Also, if I were to change it (in the long term), what would be a good name? I quite like XD to be incorporated; I have toyed with XDGFX, though again I would need to be sure it is good before I change.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Graphic Design Branding.
on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:23:58 am

Personally, I like XDGFX. That said, the single most important thing in branding is consistency. In other words, STOP changing names, Each time you change you are squandering whatever identity you've built up. Pick one and stay with it for good.

Return to posts index

Callum Morrison
on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:12:51 pm

Okay thanks. And yeah, I understand. I have kept it pretty similar; my base logo has been the same for years, and the original name is still discoverable with Google searches.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:59:44 pm

Nobody asked me, but I'll say it anyway: I really hate it when production companies use really obscure names that don't say anything plain about what they do. It's a hipster trend I see as unstoppable at this point, but when you see a prodco's name today, out of context, you don't know if it's a toy, a food product, some kind of coffee order, or some medicine with sketchy side-effects.

/end cranky rant mode/

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:45:48 pm

[Mark Suszko] " really hate it when production companies use really obscure names that don't say anything plain about what they do. It's a hipster trend"

At Fantastic Plastic we hate that, too, Mark...

:)

I won't give you specific name advice... just test it out a potential name ALL the ways you might use it. Read it. How does it look on paper? Say it out loud. Are there any clunky words that might look fine but are hard to say outloud or together? Does it lend itself to a good logo treatment? Does it end in an "S" which causes its own set of problems with possessives.

And obviously... make sure no one else is using the name.

And double obviously... pick something that the domain name is available for.

My own company was started a while back now, 17 years ago (you should see how old we all look at the Obscure Hipster meetings), but almost as soon as the internet was born someone else registered fantasticplastic.com. We ended up having to buy it from a group of vintage record stores in Washington... and it was not cheap. Pick something you can get for $16.

And as Nick said, pick a name and stick with it. Even though our company name is not super representative of exactly the kind of work we have evolved into doing now, it is an established name in our market and I wouldn't dare change it now.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:35:31 pm

Reminded me of this classic SNL short for Dillon Edwards Investments. (Perhaps NSFW vocabulary)

http://www.dula.tv/watch.php?file=clown-penis-dot-fart.flv

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:40:13 pm

Todd, at least your company name has the word "entertainment" in it. That's more than a lot of the others do now. Now, my notion of plastic entertainment may be different from others... you tell an anecdote, yourself, of how you keep getting fake awards or industry magazine subscription info for stuff related to the plastics industry, instead of marketing communications and video production services. That illustrates my point.

I like it when a name includes something like "Productions", "Films", Communications", "Media", etc. in the title.

Then I don't have to guess if I need to swallow it, smoke it, or rub it in somewhere.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 24, 2014 at 10:04:26 pm

[Todd Terry] "I won't give you specific name advice... just test it out a potential name ALL the ways you might use it. Read it. How does it look on paper? Say it out loud. Are there any clunky words that might look fine but are hard to say outloud or together?"

My personal favs as complete duds as a result of not observing what Todd said above:

Ted Airlines - which as the non-union spin-off of United became known as "United, without U and I."

-and-

BING - Which almost from its beginning was labeled as "But It's Not Google."

Oh and one more, this time a translation goody. It was only after the fact that Chevrolet discovered that the reason their "Nova" was selling so poorly in Latin America was that "Nova" in Spanish means "No Go."

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:23:18 am

The Nova story may be apocryphal, but there are plenty of car-related ones like it. Rolls Royce Silver Mist, it was said, didn't sell well in Germany because "Mist" sounds like... something... bad... in German. And Buick LaCrosse apparently isn't too popular in Canada, or at least, Quebec, as apparently, "LaCrosse" is a slang word there for something you'd better not do while driving.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:01:59 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:03:01 pm

XDGFX seems hard to say fast and well out-loud.
"eksdee-graphics?"

Doesn't XD mean something like a laughing face in 1337?

Return to posts index

Callum Morrison
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:04:10 pm
Last Edited By Callum Morrison on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:28:33 pm

I see what you mean about the name; though GFX - Graphic Effects, so it's not completely bad!

And yeah; XD is a symbol of happiness... Kinda why I like it!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:17:11 pm

Yeah XDGFX is cool and the typography design is endless. Buy the domain name right now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]