BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Credit Yourself/Watermark videos

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Leano
Credit Yourself/Watermark videos
on Jun 13, 2014 at 4:33:29 pm

Hey friends, new to creative cow here.
A little background: I recently graduated college with a broadcast degree, and am now doing a little freelancing in video production. For those of you who make wedding/music/other videos by trade, how do you credit yourself, and for how long? Is a title card sufficient at the end of the video, or do you put your logo in the corner sporadically?
The video in question is for a local dance company. I'll probably be doing it pro bono, so I'd like to get a bit of press or otherwise have my name visibly on it if it is shared or posted elsewhere.
Gracias!

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Credit Yourself/Watermark videos
on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:32:24 pm

We go by the TV model of a "vanity plate" at the end (when allowed by the client). Speaking of which, ever take the time to read any of Chuck Lorre's vanity plates? Some are fall down funny.

I personally think a watermark is serious overkill unless you haven't been paid and are using its presence to indicate that you still own it.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:38:30 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Ever take the time to read any of Chuck Lorre's vanity plates?"

There are actually several websites dedicated to Chuck's vanity cards, which is needed since they are only on screen for one second.

Personally, I think his show writing is extreeeeemly weak and pandering (I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would sit through more than three minutes of "Two and a Half Men"... and not much longer for "Big Bang..." but apparently what do I know?)... but some of his vanity cards are, yes, fall-down funny. Very well written.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 13, 2014 at 9:17:33 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Speaking of which, ever take the time to read any of Chuck Lorre's vanity plates? Some are fall down funny."

My wife bought the book. They are simply hilarious.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Doesnt-Kill-Makes-Bitter/dp/1451679750/ref=sr_1_...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jessica Leano
on Jun 13, 2014 at 9:42:07 pm

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with just a vanity plate at the end. And I have to agree on Chuck Lorre, the title plates at the end of Big Bang Theory are really clever. I always wonder how much time and thought went into just a quick flash on screen.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:33:45 pm

If it was pro bono... something discrete like an end title card I think would be fine. Internally within the video I definitely would never ever put my own logo as a bug on someone else's screen, even if they are getting it for free. That's cheesy and self-aggrandizing. And you'd certainly never ever ever do that on a client's paid project.

Most of what we do is broadcast commercials, so there is obviously never ever any credit there, so we are used to that. On longer form things we do (industrials and corporate stuff, etc.), we would rarely if ever put any kind of company credits unless there was a need for (and the client wanted) a legitimate credit roll at the end.

We recently did a government video for an area fire department, and they actually insisted that we put our logo at the end. We didn't want to... it's their show, not ours... but that's what they wanted, so we did.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 13, 2014 at 9:19:48 pm

All pro-bono videos, you can certainly put a short logo at the top of the video and then a longer slide with both logo and contact information.

For videos you are paid for, usually a short logo with website information suffices. Also depends on the clients. As you move up and start doing larger jobs, you may not be allowed to put any sort of information on the video itself.

Also be sure to stipulate in all your contracts that you can use at least an excerpt of all your work on your website for demonstration purposes. Especially when you get into corporate work, do NOT assume that you're permitted to share videos for demonstration. Some clients do not want their work to be shown anywhere but their own controlled situations.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jessica Leano
on Jun 13, 2014 at 9:39:16 pm

Great advice, thank you

Return to posts index

Neal Petrosky
on Jun 17, 2014 at 8:16:49 pm

We do a lot of corporate videos. The only time we EVER put a logo on our work is if it is pro-bono and it's a contact info slide at the end of the video.
However, being involved with a few wedding video companies, I've noticed in that industry it is much more common to see both a logo slate before the video (sort of during the music...) as well as a watermark through out the entire video.
One of those same companies does the slate for corporate gigs they've picked up. Personally, I think that's crap and I wouldn't be surprised if they've had to fight for that, and have walked away from gigs when they weren't able to do it.
I suppose in the end, it is all about who is the client/what industry you are doing it for.

Return to posts index

Jessica Leano
on Jun 17, 2014 at 8:37:45 pm

Thanks for the tips...the wedding videos are definitely where I see the constant watermark and where my questions was raised. I've seen more and more videos posted on Vimeo with the photographer's watermark on the whole, which wouldn't make sense to do with the work I'd be doing.

Return to posts index

Neal Petrosky
on Jun 17, 2014 at 8:42:37 pm

Well Vimeo is a little different. It actually gives you the ability to watermark your stuff. Everything that we want to put on our site, we use Vimeo to host... and each one gets a watermark on it. In that respect, I really don't see an issue. Vimeo is what we use for self promotion, so it falls under that category. Handing a client a final video with a watermark is something entirely different.
And as Walter mentioned above, its best to get clearance to post the video from your client (we have it stated in our contract that any final videos can be used for self promotion, but its still a good idea to ask).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]