BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Here's what new media is like

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill DewaldHere's what new media is like
by on May 30, 2014 at 5:43:19 pm

And this is at a wildly successful company:

A video editor who worked for Vice for two years said "the wage was $27K/year."

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Here's what new media is like
by on May 30, 2014 at 6:12:25 pm

And that's in New York.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Here's what new media is like
by on May 30, 2014 at 9:05:46 pm

20 grand is about what a shooter in local news in my town can expect. One of our interns graduated and got hired at the local affiliate for around that much, or less, working the night shift, and within weeks, he switched to renting out cars on commission, for more money.

Still, It's not that shocking to me that a large corporation concentrates wealth at the top and micturates on the actual people that make the product. Or that media companies maximize "shareholder value" above all else.

Part of it I imagine is that the youngsters seeking "coolness" and any kind of starter job in the "industry" allow themselves to go for cheap, and they drive down the price of talented workers. That, I'm afraid, is always going to be a problem.

I've deleted about 600 more words I'd like to say, twice, but have decided this isn't the place. Let it be enough to say that stories like this are why I favor an increase in the standard minimum wage. It may not be the best method, but it's the only practical one I can see. We have to re-balance the employer/worker dynamic *somehow*, because the regulatory dynamic and modern corporate practices have completely unbalanced the wage landscape. Jobs that were meant to pay a livable wage have been warped into a single job shared by many, in the same pay framework as a teenager's first part-time summer job. Yet the value of the work product hasn't dropped at all, and shareholder value and top management pay keep busting records. Something's not right with that.

If you pay your staff a decent wage, I salute you. More people in business need to follow your example.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Here's what new media is like
by on May 30, 2014 at 11:41:46 pm

I'm trying to figure out how not to sound like a cynical ass but... no crap new media pays the rank and file poorly. The only people that I've met that think new media pays well are people that have never worked in new media. Monetizing new media is very difficult and tends to be a high volume, low margin affair so the best seat in the new media house is to be a content aggregator or 'network' like Maker Studios (which was recently bought by Disney) and Machinima.

If you are are involved in content creation you are getting the shortest end of an already short stick. The most awesome part about this whole things is the 'by artists, for artists' facade that many of these places project. They basically paint themselves as brothers in arms leading a revolution against the tyrannical, old media dinosaurs and they hope you'll ignore the fine print in the contract that gives them exclusive rights to your work in perpetuity. Yes, signing away exclusive, perpetual rights is common if you get into bed with these companies. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Return to posts index

Simon RoughanRe: Here's what new media is like
by on Jun 1, 2014 at 7:34:31 am

And here is Vice's answer:
I like that news show on HBO. But the all-too-familiar situation where the workers down in the trenches actually making the goods are exploited for peanuts, while the top tier are cleaning up really pisses me off.

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling is for fools, but that's the way I like it, baby. I don't want to live forever!

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Here's what new media is like
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:56:43 pm

The ace of spades. Lemmy rules!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved