BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Awards for a piece on jumbotron?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad HornAwards for a piece on jumbotron?
by on May 28, 2014 at 8:31:08 pm

I produced an amazing 30 second spot for a client that we are extremely proud of. It has broken all sorts of internal records for them on social media and now we're starting to screen it on jumbo-trons at major sporting events across the country. In theory all of their chapters have been trying to place it on local broadcasts too but I don't have any stats on if this has happened or not. Being my first major piece for them, let alone my first major piece that I am really proud of, I'd like to send it off for a few awards. The only problem is I'm not entirely sure what ones to look at. Would certainly be a boon to the business (well at least it can't hurt), any ideas?

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Awards for a piece on jumbotron?
by on May 28, 2014 at 8:48:12 pm

Well firstly, let's see it :)

Secondly, probably your local AdFed chapter's ADDY awards would be the most apropos... there would definitely be applicable categories for it, although for almost all chapters those awards are in the spring. The next ones would roll around next spring, and will be for any work done during the 2014 calendar year.

You're probably right in that it couldn't hurt... very doubtful about the "boon to business" hope though. We've been around for 17 years but stopped entering any awards a couple of years ago... we win lots of them but I found them to be a waste of money and really not helpful from a business standpoint. An ego standpoint, yes, but not from a business one.

We still casually brag about the ones we have, but don't seek any new ones. A few years ago when we moved into our present studio from the previous one, awards were temporarily piled in a corner of the lobby. Literally in a big pile... not shelves, not on tables, or even in a box... a pile. I didn't think twice about it, but one client came through and said "I love that. It says 'We win tons of awards... but don't give a crap abut them.'" Which I thought was a pretty good attitude to have.

I should have left them there.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved