BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How do you like Creative Cloud *today*?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
How do you like Creative Cloud *today*?
on May 16, 2014 at 5:37:28 pm

The users need to make some rain. CC use is locked up due to some glitch at Adobe. Apparently worldwide.

For those of you who base your shops on the Adobe Creative Cloud, is this just a momentary bug, nothing to worry about, or is it making you re-evaluate your choices?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: How do you like Creative Cloud *today*?
on May 16, 2014 at 6:09:25 pm

[Mark Suszko] "The users need to make some rain. CC use is locked up due to some glitch at Adobe. Apparently worldwide."

That's over, fixed last night.

Adobe also came out with a workaround to allow users to go into Trial mode to keep using the software.

I've been speaking directly to Adobe to propose a fail safe option in case something like the re-occurs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 16, 2014 at 6:21:38 pm

So you're still committed. Going forward, is this going to hurt CC sales in the short term?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 16, 2014 at 6:27:37 pm

[Mark Suszko] "So you're still committed."

Yep, the outage did not affect us, thankfully. If were on Teams, it might have been different.

[Mark Suszko] "Going forward, is this going to hurt CC sales in the short term?
"

I can't answer that. That's up to the market.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 17, 2014 at 4:47:10 am

I didn't even know there was a problem until I read about it online.

With that being said, Adobe needs to have a fail safe in place so that users can 'authorize' their software locally for a limited time so people can't get locked out even if Adobe's servers go down.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 17, 2014 at 8:53:37 am

Hey Mark,

I too have to say that I hadn't noticed it before you told me.

Looking back: In the time the servers where down I managed to update my Acrobat PRO software, do three small family projects in Photoshop and knock out a 10 minute edit in Premiere Pro - so no complaints from me.

Not intending any disrespect to yourself, but if one wants to have a discussion on Adobe CC -v- I HATE THE WORLD & ANYTHING CALLED ADOBE CC - then this is a perfect forum for that kind of thoughts: http://forums.creativecow.net/creativeclouddebate

I'm sure that you meant well, but let's not open the flood-gates of negativity into this beautiful heaven of sane people discussing marketing and business issues. :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 17, 2014 at 2:22:55 pm

It's not like that, Mads, don't worry. But my view is that our choice of tools for doing our business is a valid subject in a business forum. As is the over-arching theme of how subscription-based services relate to our business.

Not an Abobe-hater, myself. But the event does show that there are things to learn about CC's implementation and management, and things still left to fix. When they're fixed, well, that's better for everybody.

One of the major early arguments upon the release of CC was exactly the kind of scenario that happened last week. Counter-arguments included "that couldn't happen" and "I'm sure there will be work-arounds". Now we've seen that it DID happen, and though maybe it wasn't the end of the world for the user base, (this time) I think it certainly raises questions.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 17, 2014 at 2:31:58 pm

[Mark Suszko] "But my view is that our choice of tools for doing our business is a valid subject in a business forum. As is the over-arching theme of how subscription-based services relate to our business. "

You're very correct that this is worth of a rational business discussion.

I've been very direct with my Adobe contacts that they need to develop a fail safe, local authorization mode that goes beyond the "trial mode" workaround. Honestly what happened this week was completely unacceptable. So long as you were logged in, the software was useable. If you weren't logged in, for a full day it was unusable until Adobe released the trial mode workaround.

That has a definite impact on business. You know that a server failure or a hack is going to happen at some point no matter how many safeguards are put into place. It's common sense that absolutely NOTHING is 100% fail safe.

So what I've requested is some sort of a code that a user would enter into the CC Panel that allows the local user to log into the software so we can work while the server is down. The Panel already recognizes that it cannot connect to the server. So in this instance, it would alert you that the servers are down and prompt you for a code.

That would be a very simple fix that doesn't involve a lot of moving parts. This was definitely a wake up call, though will not shake my use of Adobe at this time. The tools and integration are just second to none and the engineers are really listening to us.

But all the listening and improvements in the world do not detract from the fact that loss of access to software at any time during the production process is wholly unacceptable. That has a direct impact on the bottom line of any business. With the wealth of tools out there and the universal "plug and play" aspect of all of our gear, it would be a very easy business decision to simply switch to a different tool.

This is a good discussion so long as we keep it rational and to business. Otherwise, the other forum Mads mentioned is a good place to vent.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 17, 2014 at 2:34:32 pm

I worked editing last evening with no problems. Didn't even hear about until now. CC continues to be a good value for me, i use Pr, Lightroom, AE, PS and find it quite ok to pay monthly and have access to the suite when needed. As long as Adobe learns from their issues, i'm ok with infrequent issues, luckily I wasn't under deadline.

Al

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 17, 2014 at 5:57:28 pm

Hey Mark,

I hear you and I think that Walter has put it where it belongs, which is that Adobe will not get too many second chances for having any kind of "down-time".

And no, I for one never thought that problems could not happen, as much as they didn't for me, but that may be because I don't make use of the whole CC package - yet.

What I did find interesting on the forum I've named "We all hate Adobe CC and will not use it, but happily moan about it to the end of days" is that a quick skim across the postings, an Adobe employee have dared to venture in there and tell the forum that the issues have been dealt with and that the problem should now be fixed - can't remember any other major supplier/manufacturer doing that?

Personally I come from a background where I had a system that went to market, then got pulled from market, then went back on the market - but never actually did the key bit it said on the tin that it would do very well, to my cost. The difference in price to Adobe CC was about a $100K higher... That made me moan, and moan loudly. Which is why I appreciate how good a deal the (working) Adobe CC is, and how it makes it affordable for me to learn new tools that was otherwise out of bounds. In a market where my (our) job description are changing rapidly and the rates for basic jobs are dropping, that is very valuable.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 17, 2014 at 6:22:02 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "an Adobe employee have dared to venture in there and tell the forum that the issues have been dealt with and that the problem should now be fixed - can't remember any other major supplier/manufacturer doing that?"

Adobe has actually been a very active participant in that forum as well as all the Adobe forums. They are among the most open manufacturers I've dealt with to date. That's one of the main reasons I have confidence in the products.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 21, 2014 at 8:06:26 pm

Are you all saying that when the CC server went down you could not use your local software? I thought CC only had to re-authorize once every 30 days.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 21, 2014 at 8:18:45 pm

[Mike Cohen] "Are you all saying that when the CC server went down you could not use your local software? I thought CC only had to re-authorize once every 30 days."

If you were completely logged out of the software, you could not re-authorize it to use it. As in our case, we have 10 systems, 5 licenses and we log out / log in as needed on the various machines.

In that case, you could not log in to use the software. Once your system is logged in, it stays logged in until you log out. Regardless of how many times you turn on / off the machine or whether you're connected to the internet.

So if you were among the unfortunate who were completely logged out of the software, you could not log in for an entire day until Adobe released the Trial workaround.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]