BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

A reality show with a double purpose

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenny Wright
A reality show with a double purpose
on May 6, 2014 at 6:09:35 pm

Hello.
I'm new and although I'm a published writer, am very green in the tv industry.

I have a brilliant animal reality show idea, which will not only benefit tv/viewers but also a 3rd world country. (I have registered the idea here in Canada).
Have read some of the past horror stories re; Discovery & National Geographic and Tv Writers Vault. So.. that being said, am wondering if anyone could suggest leads or contacts of where I could send my drafted copy idea.

Much gratitude and thanks for any help,

Jenny Wright
Dinosaur Music.
http://www.dinosaurmusic.net

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: A reality show with a double purpose
on May 6, 2014 at 8:29:03 pm

Step 1:
Go make a season's worth of your show.

Step 2:
Lock in all the key participants and locations with contracts, so that they can't be a part of any similar show, done by a competitor.

Bring the show to the NATPE convention and sell it.

Step 3: Profit?

I don't know what "registering" your idea means in Canada, but it won't help you here very much. You can't copyright an idea here, only the very specific creative expression of that idea. If someone else wants to make an eco-touirism reality show like yours, you're out of luck.

Return to posts index

Jenny Wright
on May 6, 2014 at 10:28:37 pm

Thank you Mark for your ideas. Are there any other options besides Natpe convention?

Does Writers Guild not protect an idea?
Thanks for any other suggestions....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 6, 2014 at 11:49:01 pm

WGA protects a specific script. Not a concept.

NATPE is probably the easiest way to go, for an independent, from what I can tell. All these distributors and buyers, all in one place.

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on May 7, 2014 at 3:15:01 am

I have been DP recently on several episodes of an Animal Planet show on dogs, I don't want to mention the name of the specific show here. I also am a Field Producer for them. I am in very good with the production company in LA and they produce for AP, Leaning Channel, Travel Channel, etc. Contact me privately and I will give you their contact info.

You need to go through an established production company like them to be seriously considered by Animal Planet. No one likes to take a chance on a newbie stranger so you have to pitch your idea to the established prod co and they will team with you and pitch AP.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 7, 2014 at 7:27:40 am

Also...many companies don't take "unsolicited pitches." That means, they won't take a pitch unless an entertainment lawyer is involved...on your end. This way no one can be accused of stealing ideas. It's always best to retain a lawyer when pitching to a company. I've heard of many places that will outright steal show ideas. it's far too common.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jenny Wright
on May 8, 2014 at 3:50:01 am

Thank you Shane,
I do have a lawyer husband. Although entertainment isn't his area. We could write a letter together.?

Return to posts index

Jenny Wright
on May 8, 2014 at 3:42:38 am

Thanks Mark.
Would a season be 13 episodes?
J

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 7, 2014 at 8:52:18 am

Hey Jenny,

Listen to Mark, short of making the full show this is the best way to protect your idea:

[Mark Suszko] "Step 2:
Lock in all the key participants and locations with contracts, so that they can't be a part of any similar show, done by a competitor."

Having a professionally produced demo-reel for the show when talking with productions partners/broadcasters is another good way of showing that you mean business.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jenny Wright
on May 8, 2014 at 3:47:28 am

Thank you so much. Sigh, my idea might remain an idea. I am unable to visualize further. Probably need a trustworthy, production savvy partner. Still think it is a darn good - eco- tourist, charitable idea.
But as a somewhat local musician/freelance writer - I can't get past that.
Sorry for the negativity folks -

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 8, 2014 at 4:19:46 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_program

Don't feel bad: I had this idea for a documentary series fora long time, where I would interview famous ace fighter pilots to get them to describe their most memorable/ important dog-fights, then use that narrative to construct 3-d CGI animated re-creatings of those air battles, and inter-cut between the guy and the animation. I told my wife this idea, and kept talking out loud about it for months, but every time I did, she'd tell me:

"That's the STUPIDEST idea for a show I've ever heard of: NOBODY is going to want to watch that!!!"

Then one day, I flip on the TV and...

"Hey honey, come see this!"

" Well. *I* wouldn't watch it, but I guess I can see how some airplane nuts might"

(*sigh*)

I guess the point is, if you believe in your idea strongly enough, and never give up, you can carry it out. It still may not turn out as great as you wanted, because the process is so very collaborative, and collaboration inevitably dilutes a singular vision, but sometimes the additional input makes the idea stronger and better.
The odds against any one show ever making it to air and succeeding are very, very high.

Return to posts index

Jenny Wright
on May 12, 2014 at 6:34:59 pm

Thanks Mark. The problem with this reality show is it needs to take place outside of the USA. In a 3rd world country. My guess is it would be cheap to produce say in Mexico or somewhere. But I cannot visualize writing 13 scripts unless a production company says ok to another country?
Jen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 12, 2014 at 11:17:15 pm

Writing is not a problem. You can write anything, anywhere. What happens is you find a producer/ backer who likes what you've written, and THEY decide the economics of where to shoot the thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]