BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Chicago-area old-timers: Tom Kneebone has passed away

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoChicago-area old-timers: Tom Kneebone has passed away
by on May 1, 2014 at 5:24:45 am

If you have any good stories about this legendary local Chicago area TV news stringer, feel free to share. This guy was a legend in his own time, and he will be missed.

Return to posts index

Sean MillikanRe: Chicago-area old-timers: Tom Kneebone has passed away
by on Nov 15, 2014 at 5:22:07 am

This is extremely heartbreaking. I knew this man for 30 years and only found out of his passing yesterday (Nov. 13, 2014). He was a friend and colleague to my grandfather, Jack Putignano, who passed away four years ago this December. Both of them were great men. Tom used to help me fix my car, edit videotape for my school productions, and we even wound up taking in his cat Junior a few years back. He used to tell me stories of his racing days, traveling all over the place, shooting pictures and later video. He was a master of his craft. The ultimate "Most Interesting Man in the World." He is and will be missed greatly.

Sean J. Millikan

P.S. - Why does it seem so difficult to find an obituary for him? He seems to be the most illusive man on the internet as well. It would be nice to know what happened. Its been over a year since I last spoke to him. I would sure like to pay my respects to him if I knew where to.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Chicago-area old-timers: Tom Kneebone has passed away
by on Nov 15, 2014 at 6:38:19 am

Because it turns out, he's rather infirm, but not quite dead, but I (and a circle of us, his friends or acquaintances) was duped by a false report made by another acquaintance of Tom's. Tom likes to "go off the grid" for long periods, apparently, and someone in his circle got confused about his status when Tom moved, and started the whole thing going around. I got it third-hand from those people over Facebook and didn't think to check it out; I just took it on faith to be true, since I hadn't talked to him in about a year. It took about three days to unravel it and hear from a surprised Tom himself, to confirm he wasn't gone. Since nobody reacted here to my original post, and I didn't know how to redact the post, I decided it was one of those "if a tree falls and nobody hears it" kind of things... and to just leave it alone; after all, my admiration for Tom are genuine, regardless of his health status. I eventually heard from another friend that Tom thought the entire debacle was hilarious, much like when Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn got to hear their own eulogies. Sorry for the shock of the false report, the last I heard, his health is poor, but he's still around. Probably listening to his wall full of scanners. If you get in contact with him, tell him I said hello, and I'm sorry to have jumped the gun on his "In Memoriam". In fact, I think of Tom more often these days because of that new movie about a news stringer... only there's not much in common between the two characters. Tom's life is probably too bizarre to be believed if made as a movie.

Return to posts index

Sean MillikanRe: Chicago-area old-timers: Tom Kneebone has passed away
by on Nov 15, 2014 at 1:33:49 pm

You're absolutely right. I don't think you could ever convince a stranger that you were telling the truth if you were talking about Tom. He's stranger than fiction, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I need to contact him. I have an old cell phone number that I will try him on. That would explain why I couldn't find an obit! Thank you for responding, I feel much better knowing he's still around. I will send him your regards if I am lucky enough to locate him. He's one of a kind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved