BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

License fee for amateur video being used in tv episode

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Jones
License fee for amateur video being used in tv episode
on Apr 24, 2014 at 10:46:06 pm

Hi,

Recently I've been contacted by a company that wants to use footage (handheld HD of fighting animals, can't find likewise videos online) for an episode that's broadcasted on tv internationally. They want a non-exclusive license.

I've tried to find information about reasonable rates, but the few (sometimes old) posts I have found give rates anywhere between a flat $100 for the whole thing and $65 per second.

As they'd probably like to use a few minutes, I'm wondering what a reasonable price would be. Mind you, I was just on holiday filming, using a high-end compact camera with HD-quality for movies, haven't done any editing. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance, the help is appreciated!

Luke

Return to posts index

Wayne Keyser
Re: License fee for amateur video being used in tv episode
on Apr 25, 2014 at 4:08:47 am

"Shop the competition."

Contact two or three sources of roughly-similar footage, and find out what it would cost to license it for a roughly-similar project. For heaven's sake, don't give them your real name, and tell them that if you're interested you'll get back in touch with them.

Voila! A real-world comparison.

Some people find this unethical, others don't. Every business I know secretly shops their competitors from time to time.

=============

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 25, 2014 at 2:27:56 pm

"
Some people find this unethical, others don't. Every business I know secretly shops their competitors from time to time.
"

It's commonly called: "benchmarking", and there's nothing technically wrong about researching what competitors charge.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:07:11 pm

It also depends on your costs: if it was for a formal shoot, you would have associated costs. Nowadays, you can get lots of pricing from places like pond5 or shutterstock (there loads of others) and those are all non-exclusive, royalty-free clips.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Luke Jones
on Apr 29, 2014 at 6:38:35 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll dive into those stock pages as mentioned by Jonathan. I didn't know there were so many of them, but it seems like I should be able to get some good idea of what's reasonable there.

Cheers!

Luke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]