BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Video Edit System Components for MAC Pro

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bispham
Video Edit System Components for MAC Pro
on Apr 9, 2014 at 9:42:04 pm

Which forum would be best, to see if I will have any "Gotchas" once my leased equipment arrives? I just don't want to have to tell the bean counter here that, oh darn, I still need a ???
I do 720 & 1080 HD but I would think this set-up could handle at least one stream of 4k.

Plan to acquire -
MacPro 6 core/512/32gigRam
One TB Cinema Display
Promise Tech 24TB Thunderbolt Raid 5
BlackMagic UltraStudio 4k Thunderbolt (io)
3 G-Tech 8TB USB3 drives for Back-Up of the 24TB Promise
Some TB & USB3 cables

I have one Display Port Cinema display
I have Adobe CC
I have TV Logic HD confidence monitor
I have Alesis speakers

I will be moving all (or most) of my FCPro 7 projects to this system.
I would have asked many of these questions at NAB but health issues prevented me from attending.

Thank-you for any help.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
Re: Video Edit System Components for MAC Pro
on Apr 10, 2014 at 3:48:21 pm

Don't overlook the boring but practical stuff.....where is it all going to go? Do you need a rack with shelves? Are you cables long enough to get where they need to go? How is it all being powered? Plan to include a good UPS in your budget to keep it all running smoothly. And the only other thing I didn't see in your list was any kind of measurement tool. I added a BMD SmartScope Duo 4K into my setup last year and can't imagine not having it now. I keep it directly below my monitors so as I'm cutting or color correcting I can see real waveforms and vectorscopes without having to take up screen real estate or wait for the lag of software. It has made my speed of color correcting increase substantially.

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on Apr 10, 2014 at 6:41:48 pm

All good suggestions, thank-you.
The new equipment will replace the existing set-up.
I have a rack & UPS.
I think I will add the BMD SmartScope, good idea.
Hopefully Adobe SpeedGrade will send the signal to the scope without issue.
Cable length is a big factor.
Do I spend the money for a long ThunderBolt cable and move the Promise Raid to a rack shelf(in another room) or is this Raid quiet enough to be in my edit room near the MACpro? Guess I should ask Promise.
Thanks again for your input Matt.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Apr 10, 2014 at 8:45:58 pm

I have the input to my Duo Scope fed from the switched output of my Panasonic production monitor via HD-SDI. This way whatever I'm monitoring I can also see scopes for. I don't use SpeedGrade right now (still using Colorista directly in Premiere) but so long as Speed Grade plays with the Ultra Studio you should have no problem using the scopes with it. It just takes an HD-SDI signal. It can also display straight video signal and overlay audio meters, etc. When I am working on a project that has to be laid off to tape (yep, still get those) I turn off the vector and just keep the waveform and make one side the return of the deck for confidence. Very handy little display/scope unit.

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:02:15 pm

Yes, the BM SmartScope looks like a nice addition and I will check with BM to be sure it works with my proposed setup. Thanks again for your input.

I got info from Promise tech support concerning the noise level of their Pegasus2 R8. Here it is -

The Pegasus2 is very quiet.

Pegasus2 R4, Pegasus2 R6 and Pegasus2 R8 share the same noise level characteristics.

Test Conditions:
Bandwidth: 100Hz~20KHz
Environmental correction K2A=-0.1dB
Measurement duration: 30 seconds
The acoustic noise test condition refers to ISO 7779(SPL)

Results:
Idle mode: Less than 27 dB
Operation mode: Less than 32 dB

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 12, 2014 at 12:01:13 am
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Apr 12, 2014 at 12:01:47 am

[David Bispham] " got info from Promise tech support concerning the noise level of their Pegasus2 R8. Here it is -
The Pegasus2 is very quiet.
Pegasus2 R4, Pegasus2 R6 and Pegasus2 R8 share the same noise level characteristics."

Mmmm. Unless they've dramatically changed something, I don't believe it. My Pegasus1 R6 was supposed to be 'very quiet' too. It is way louder than my old Mac Pro tower was. If I were you I would definitely get the long TB cable and put it at a distance.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:01:44 pm

Good idea Jason. I think I will get a 3 meter TB cable. That will put the raid on the other side of a wall. Seems like I can only find the 1,2,& 3 meter lengths. Then they jump up to 10 meters but cost over $300.00.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]