BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Funny but oh so true

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoFunny but oh so true
by on Apr 2, 2014 at 12:27:17 pm

The point to take away from this is that client education is a key part of your job AS the "expert". It's not always as hard as this video illustrates, but you want to do it in a way that doesn't shame or embarrass the clients publicly. One way you can do this is to write them a "white paper", which they can look at privately, That is, a short, specific report that includes terms and definitions with simple examples. Then having a follow-up meeting after they've read it. By giving them the basics of a SHARED technical vocabulary, you're now both "talking the same language".

One area where we see this problem all the time, is in communicating the differences in formats and codecs, along with media types, among clients who have been consumers all their life, but clients for the first time. They really don't grasp the differences between a DVD, DVD-RAM, CD with media files, a BluRay... to them, these are all the same thing: a shiny round thing that plays "video". They often don't even know what their own computers can play.

"Anderson" in the video is extremely patient, and he's doing all the right things. He's hampered by his own management, which has the same problem as the client: they don't understand what they are asking for. But he's asking questions to try and get at what they all MEAN versus what they SAY. For example, does "transparent" really mean "translucent"? They don't understand the distinction; we, as the "experts", have to. This is as valuable as your actual talent and skill:guiding the process with what you know and they don't.

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Funny but oh so true
by on Apr 2, 2014 at 2:06:38 pm

When the woman came up to the board, I thought for sure she was going to exclaim that she did his job.

In conversations like this I simply ask the client to "show me something you saw and send the youtube link or image."

Return to posts index

Jeff BreuerRe: Funny but oh so true
by on Apr 2, 2014 at 2:46:16 pm

That makes me laugh AND want to shove my head through my desk!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved