BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Content Purchase Request

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mariusz PotyralskiContent Purchase Request
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:58:52 pm

Hi guys,

I need your advice. I am new in video production industry. Self learner, passionate freelance photo/videographer with just a few ambitious project so far.
I got this email from film producing company. Currently they work on the airline advertisement and ask to purchase content of my video.
They need some portions of the video, approximately 6sec long all together.
It will be exposed through world-wide corporate web&youtube up to 6months.
On the top of that they intend to pay the permission of usage.

Problem is, I don't know how much should I asked for.

What would you do yourself?

Regards, M.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Content Purchase Request
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:42:02 pm

Do not over-reach on this: I suggest that as a base, consider what it cost you to get that shot and what it would cost for someone else to reproduce the exact same shot, and price your clip less than that. If the clip truly is unique and impossible to duplicate by another person, you can afford to charge more.

Key issues in the contract for the footage include: the rights should fully revert to you at the end of the agreed period, with the company given an option to renew for another 6 months, at the same pay rate. Once the contract period is over, there should be no restrictions on what you do with the clip.

If this is a commercial, expect a one-time fee for your clip. If this is used in a TV show, look for either a small residual for each showing, or the equivalent of several such showings, calculated into one lump sum payment.

Finally, go to some of the online stock footage web sites and look for clips similar to yours, see what those companies charge for them. Price your clip competitively.

This clip is not going to be like a million-dollar lottery ticket. But it might help pay for a new camera or edit station:-)

Return to posts index

Mariusz PotyralskiRe: Content Purchase Request
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 9:54:48 pm

Not a million-dollar video? I am very disappointed :) Maybe next time!

Truly, I feel strange to take the money. I shoot this video while being on holidays, and they want just a 7sec of it. On the other hand it will be 25% of their 30sec advertise and they proposed to pay for the permission of usage so why not to charge them..

Just looking at the stock footage, 20-30sec raw fullHD footage for web broadcasting costs around 350 - 500€
I thing I should upload some of my recordings.

Mark, Thanks for the quick response and lot of interesting insights. All the Best!

Regards, M.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved