BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

New Digital Juice Subscription

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
New Digital Juice Subscription
on Mar 17, 2014 at 9:56:35 pm

Have any of you seen the new direction Digital Juice is going? Basically they are ditching disk media and going with a web portal. You pay a monthly subscription and get access to all of their software (though they still charge you a small fee, currently $1 per download). Plus they are adding a marketplace for people to buy and sell your own stock (you get to set your own price and they just charge a "small" processing fee). Currently it looks like the early bird pricing is $10/mo and a $250 starting fee (though they give the 250 back in credits and other perks)

Sounds interesting, but I haven't used much Digital Juice stuff. I know others have mentioned it here. What are you thoughts? Think it is worth it? Below is a link to the description in their absurdly long video that explains everything.

http://www.digitaljuice.com/EverythingChanges/Video

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: New Digital Juice Subscription
on Mar 18, 2014 at 1:55:54 pm

It's probably a smart move. To me, the biggest downside of buying a DJ dvd was paying for an entire collection when I only wanted one or two items in the disc. I was telling them to sell "a la carte" ages ago in their customer feedback.

It's got to save them money to not have to manage all that duplication and shipping as well as physical inventory. As an editor, when you need it, you NEED it, and being able to get an instant download at 2 in the morning to finish a project on tight deadlines, sure beats waiting for a DVD in the mail...

What kind of deal is it for us, the users? The initial buy-in has to be low, or it's a barrier to entry for many, myself included. I do like Digital Juice, and I often recommend many of their products. But, I would not drop 250 bucks in advance for a year's access, PLUS a monthly fee, even with credits. Even if you dropped the entry fees, ten bucks a month is also not what I'd want to pay, UNLESS I was seriously using a LOT of their stuff every week. And I don't use them that often. I would much prefer a pay-as- you-go, per-download cost, when and as I need something, even if it was in the 20-to-50-dollar range, like what MotionVFX.com does. My personal budget is a Rube Goldberg construction as it is: I don't need additional automated monthly "leakages" tapping into it, regardless of me getting any utility out of the deal. it would be like paying the monthly netflix fee but only watching one show a year. Not a good value proposition.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 18, 2014 at 4:13:57 pm

That video is way too long. I think I made it to the 5 minute mark. Digital Juices's new line of products have been available for digital download for a couple of years.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2014 at 6:33:11 pm

I agree about the length; that's always a challenge when you need to communicate a HUGE volume of stuff.

For someone who leans heavily on a ton of their products, the all-you-can-eat costs might even out with the benefits. But I'm thinking for casual users that only come for one or two things, the math doesn't work out. I can see someone signing up for a month at ten dollars, downloading 3 things for three bucks, and then lapsing membership until they need something again. That would be something I might do. But I don't see that kind of customer willing to front 250 or whatever for the chance to get in early.

I wonder too what kind of DRM these files have on them, if any, and if piracy of downloaded products will be a problem. Is the new juicer app going to function as some sort of DRM authorization key for your downloads?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 20, 2014 at 2:21:18 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "I haven't used much Digital Juice stuff. I know others have mentioned it here. What are you thoughts? Think it is worth it?"

Their music library is pretty good, the stock footage is OK and I find the graphics and templates to be very cheesy. As for cost, you have to look at how much you would use their service. A subscription binds you to one source, tempting you to use their stuff even if it's not the best for a given situation. In general I'd advise against any type of subscription service, says the guy who is about to subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Derek Stewardson
on May 27, 2014 at 2:49:33 pm

Since the DJ forum is closed down, is there somewhere I can find DJ users for hire? I'm looking for a couple of people/teams to create TV and web commercials for our clients through our new website. I have tons of DJ products but I would want someone who is a member of the new DJ subscription service.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 27, 2014 at 3:31:22 pm

I would try the Services tab a the top of this page. It is a great place to find talent. Personally I would be looking for the best talent not a user of DJ subscriptions. Any talented creative could sign up for it today and get access to what ever you want them to use, but good talent isn't something everyone can be.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Octavio Warnock-Graham
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:53:03 pm

Today I went looking for some new wipes/motion graphics over at Digital Juice only to discover that they had switched to the new subscription based model. All that is well and good but the new website does not allow for any preview of effects or searching of packages, unless I am missing something. I can't even find the media management desktop application. I wonder how they expect customers to shell out $250+ for unseen products. DJ was a frustrating product (clunky, not intuitive, etc) before but walling off preview content is really shortsighted.

Anywho, over on Glassdoor.com, old employees of DJ share some of the pro's and cons of working with the company. Apparently lots of screaming and belittling amidst a chaotic, hyper-controlling environment. An insightful read for those working in the biz.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Digital-Juice-Reviews-E230811.htm

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:07:17 pm

Dang... read those employee reviews. WOWSER.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:46:03 pm

[Todd Terry] "Dang... read those employee reviews. WOWSER."

Makes me want to trash my Digital Juice disks. On the other hand, it makes me appreciate my work environment all the more.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Clayton Moore
on Oct 20, 2014 at 3:32:04 am

What about this promotion ?

http://www.digitaljuice.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Hanley
on Oct 22, 2014 at 8:58:02 pm

Most of our stuff here is custom, but we toss in (and alter...always alter) some stock elements here and there. I was just about to buy the $499 lifetime deal and then during checkout I got to the terms and conditions. The detailed terms and conditions basically get so ridiculously complicated and cryptic that I gave up on them.

DJ used to be a really good company. The leadership has obviously lost touch, which is too bad because I used to occasionally deal with the CEO way back when he started DJ and liked him. The employee reviews speak for themselves. I don't want to deal with a company like that, good price or not.

Kevin
CVWmedia
Norman, OK

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:48:20 pm

Kevin, I saw that promo and was considering it too. What was it about the conditions that looked fishy?

Return to posts index

Kevin Hanley
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:54:28 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Hanley on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:55:12 pm

There are references scattered all around to content ownership, licensing, etc. Basically it refers to stuff that I think comes with the subscription, but there's so much legalese...with lots of caps about how you'd better read ALL of it...that I gave up and cancelled checkout.

Oh, and the big thing was that it's unclear whether my full company can share the stock assets or not. The way it's written, it sounds like we can't and that's dumb. I know lawyers write those things, but I'm not interested in hiring my own lawyer to read the lengthy dissertation on all the possible ways to violate their terms. :)

Kevin
CVWmedia
Norman, OK

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 23, 2014 at 4:05:53 pm

I've only used them on a very limited basis in the distant past, but these days just hearing what (in the opinion of current and past employees) an oppressive, belittling, and horrible place it (apparently) is to work is enough for me to not consider their product. My tiny lack of business wouldn't make any difference at all to them in the long run, but would make me feel slightly better about myself. Much like my better half refuses to even consider darkening the doors of a Wal-Mart.

Plus... I'll admit that I haven't really looked at DJ stuff in a while, but (at least in years past) a great deal of their design was very corny and dated-looking, and just had a general cheap and assembly-line look to it. Cheesy factor turned up to a full 10. Maybe 11.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Nov 6, 2014 at 11:06:54 pm

"Oh, and the big thing was that it's unclear whether my full company can share the stock assets or not."

I work at a municipal office. I'm the only one that does video, but there's a senior media tech that's been moved to do more office and contractual related work with outside clients. He does videos very rarely. I still asked if he could use it if we signed up. DJ replied and said it's one use per person, you can't share accounts.

Return to posts index

Andre Trinidad
on Apr 10, 2015 at 9:02:17 pm

So now that it's 2015, has anyone used the new Digital Juice program? You can now read the "finer, non-legalese" print. In the long run it seems like a gamble?

---Persevere---

"Nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent."
~Calvin Coolidge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]