BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Following up even after being rejected after an interview?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob GrauertFollowing up even after being rejected after an interview?
by on Mar 16, 2014 at 9:27:08 pm

Long story short, a job recruiter contacted me about a position and asked me if i would be interested in interviewing. I went in for the interview and everything seemed to go well, but they chose someone else. It happens.

Is it appropriate to contact them and ask them how everything is going and if everything is working out as well as they hoped? Or is that unprofessional and desperate looking?

Rob Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Following up even after being rejected after an interview?
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 1:22:59 am

Partly depends on how you worded it, I figure.

"Hello again!

I enjoyed discussing potential work situations with you; do please feel free to contact me again, if you should find a situation you think fits my skill set."

What you would NOT want to do is say something like:

"I've lowered my standards and asking salary since the last time we talked".

Return to posts index

Andrew RendellRe: Following up even after being rejected after an interview?
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:58:26 am

In principle yes, but as Mark says think very carefully about how you want to present yourself.

When I was starting out I applied for a trainee position and didn't get it. I followed it up with a letter asking for feedback and advice and a few weeks later I was invited to apply for another trainee position that was coming up, which I got. That basically got me a career.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as the saying goes.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Following up even after being rejected after an interview?
by on Mar 18, 2014 at 12:34:24 am

I've been self employed for the past 30 years, so I don't know jack about job hunting, but I laughed when I read this because looking back, every single job other than my college pizza delivery job that I EVER held, I was first told I was NOT the hire.

First time, they hired another dude that didn't work out and I was the number two choice. The second gig was when I applied for an on-air shift at one of the largest radio stations in my area. The week after I landed the gig - what shows up in my mailbox but a form letter informing me that I was NOT the choice! but again, they were going to keep my app on file! I took THAT letter to the station with me for my on-air shift - and showed it to my boss. We had a nice laugh.

Still, the bottom line is NEVER burn your bridges. And it's perfectly OK to write a nice note thanking them for their time and asking them to keep your resume on file.

Never really know how things are going to work out in the long run.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Post removed by author on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:44:14 am.

Al BergsteinRe: Following up even after being rejected after an interview?
by on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:42:42 pm

I would agree with the thoughts above, and not just in video production. It's totally appropriate to let them know that you really would have liked the job, thank them for the interview, and let them know that you would be willing to consider the position if things don't work out. Stuff happens, and the new person might have some freak situation happen and you would then be the first name on their minds to call.

And yes, I also have rarely been the first person thought of for jobs. I found that persistence and experience were the factors that counted. The best job I ever got took six months of calling back from the initial over the phone interview, and a subsequent reorganization of the group took place. (the job position remained open over that time). The recruiter handling it was always fine with me calling weekly, and I did, every Friday like clockwork. I always joked that I had turned down other opportunities that weren't as good as the one they had, it was true. Always sound happy, practice the call laughing or smiling beforehand if you are feeling down. Or have someone reread the email out loud to make sure you sound up. Eventually they called back and I got the second interview, and that was it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved