BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Job Posting From the Past

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Job Posting From the Past
on Feb 26, 2014 at 6:07:46 pm

I just ran across this job posted a few days ago. I can't believe it's real.

Description

1. Job Purpose:

Perform complex commercial and journalistic photographic duties. In addition, responsible for overall
operations of Photo Studio to include photo set-up, lighting, shooting, and processing, inventory control,
equipment management, external ordering and vendor relations, record keeping, cost allocating, archives
and indexing, and directing of staff (as applicable).

2. Primary Responsibilities:

a) Photograph, expose, process and retouch film.
b) Set-up, adjust and operate all related photographic and developing equipment.
c) Process transparencies, process print and retouch black and white photos.
d) Act as consultant for advertising requirements to determine in-house or outside production. Process
job allocation costs.
e) Control inventory and order supplies, equipment and outside vendor services, as required.
f) Keep darkrooms and photo equipment clean and in good repair.
g) Keep abreast of latest films, tools and technologies.
h) Keep files and library of photography.
i) At higher levels, instruct other photo studio employees of lower classification.

3. Working Conditions and Basic Requirements:

Work with photographic chemicals and in darkroom environment. Handle high voltage power packs for
shooting. Location work requires ability to transport equipment.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Job Posting From the Past
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:09:23 pm

There are a lot of applications where film is still the way to go. For example, you can't shoot with digital cameras in an Aluminum factory. Has to be film.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:12:09 pm

[walter biscardi] "For example, you can't shoot with digital cameras in an Aluminum factory. Has to be film."

I had no idea. Why is that?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:29:55 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "I had no idea. Why is that?"

The entire building is one massive magnet. A DP friend of mine taught me that one.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:34:42 pm

But aluminum isn't magnetic, normally. You must mean a bauxite smelting operation, I'm guessing?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:41:43 pm

[Mark Suszko] "But aluminum isn't magnetic, normally. You must mean a bauxite smelting operation, I'm guessing?"

The process of making the aluminum requires tremendous magnets in the building to separate the metals apparently. This is from a friend who has shot in a huge aluminum factory on multiple occasions. He MUST use film cameras when he goes in there to shoot. All electronic data would be wiped instantly inside the building.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 26, 2014 at 9:18:56 pm

I did some checking, and it's not magnets per se, but they DO melt and separate the bauxite/Alumina by running ginormous electric current thru it in the melting pots, so the thing that would mess up TV recordings would be RF noise from all that current, but not specifically magnetism. Unless this plant you shot at was a recycling plant, using magnets to separate ferrous from non- ferrous metals.

I was shooting shoulder-mounted hand-held betacam one time at the U. of Illinois virtual CAVE environment, where they used magnets as part of the tracking system to make a virtual projection track your body. There, indeed, I could shoot around the edges of the room, but my B&W CRT viewfinder would go nuts a few feet into the center of the room, and the tapes would have dropouts if you shot in the center of that early version of a "holodeck".

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:37:16 pm

You may also have heard about that "film look" thing. Apparently one way to get it is by shooting film. :-)

It's also still be far the best storage medium we have, so anyone interested in long-term preservation is going to touch film at one point or another. In fact, the only film that Fuji sells anymore is for the archiving market. Digital intermediates are just that -- the intermediates before the film is printed BACK to film for preservation.

A few high-profile exceptions each year don't change the fact that film acquisition is just about done, and there will be ZERO film prints for theatrical distribution by the end of the year. ZERO.

But shops like this one will be around for a long, long time -- long after the Deluxes and Technicolors of the world have been unable to make a profit on the film labs that were once the core of their businesses.....

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Feb 27, 2014 at 2:12:37 pm

[Tim Wilson] "You may also have heard about that "film look" thing. Apparently one way to get it is by shooting film. :-)"

Haha!

They should really explain their unique needs better to attract the right shooter. Regardless of their reason, they have to assume photographers will laugh when they see G placed directly after F.

f) Keep darkrooms and photo equipment clean and in good repair.
g) Keep abreast of latest films, tools and technologies.

I work a lot with comedy, to me that is the punchline.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 26, 2014 at 9:46:20 pm

I talked to a friend who works at this company and the word is that they shoot film for color accuracy.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:34:25 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "...word is that they shoot film for color accuracy."

That makes perfect sense.

This whole thing got me thinking, though.... should I re-visit our job postings and strike "Proficiency with Mimeograph Machines" from the requirements?

Ahhhh... that blue fluid, and the smell......

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:29:33 pm

Todd,

Amigo, drop everything and go open a window right now!

(PS, I know we had some communication snafus post my Orange County shoot (I misplaced my debit card somewhere and had to cancel and get it re-issued, and forgot how many "auto-renews" I had posting to it including two of my email addresses!)

Anyhow, I hope you got my email about Jeff,- the shoot went off great - aside from my abiding jealousy about the fact that he was leaving my set and heading off to shoot Carnaval in Rio!

Thanks for the very excellent referral. It made my shoot much easier and more stress free having him on board.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Job Posting From the Past - TO BILL
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:48:41 pm

Hey Bill...

(hijacking this thread about something else, sorry)....

YES I got your email messages. In fact I replied to two of them but my replies each bounced back as undeliverable several days later. No idea why, because after the first one bounced I sent the second from home with a Gmail account... so two different sending accounts from two different ISPs, but they both bounced back...

"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at fantasticplastic.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long."

I also tried to call you a couple of days ago but got voicemail; I left you a message basically saying "I wasn't being rude, I tried to reply," but hmmm maybe that didn't reach you either.

Hope it's just my bad luck and you are not missing out on any jobs!

Anyway I'm glad Jeff worked out... he's great and the best DP I know. Damn him.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]