BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Certificate of Insurance

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Certificate of Insurance
on Feb 13, 2014 at 2:35:43 pm

I'm shooting a video in a manufacturing plant in a few weeks. We're using a contracted crew.

The grip company with truck and lighting) I've hired is asking for a certificate of insurance naming them as "an additional insured and loss payee."

I've done this before when renting a studio for a shoot, or renting a location, or even renting equipment. I carry my own insurance.

But this company is providing the truck and lighting with an operator. Shouldn't THEY be providing their own insurance? Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
Re: Certificate of Insurance
on Feb 13, 2014 at 2:59:35 pm

Yes. I've never heard of this. If they do something wrong while the plant is under your "Care, Custody & Control" (The 3 C's), the plant owners will come after you. I'd be leery of them, perhaps there is something in their background, such as a major accident or lawsuit, that makes them want to do this? If anything the plant should have asked for yours and their certificates. Lately some of the major skyscrapers in downtown Chicago have been asking for my certificate for me to just unload at the dock.

Lastly, I shoot in plants a lot and unless it's a dark hole such as a soot covered steel mill, I don't need a grip truck. I just crank up the ISO!

Please post an explanation when they reply as to why they are asking for your certificate. Curious.

Good luck,

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Certificate of Insurance
on Feb 13, 2014 at 3:57:27 pm

I shoot in plants a lot also. In my experience the insurance thing is standard practice whether you're renting even small stuff like lights or a 2nd camera. So I don't find it unusual that the people renting you an entire truck of gear would want the coverage.

What you probably should consider is having your insurance boosted to a much higher level for the shoot days. We normally carry 1 million for every day stuff, but for some plants I've doubled that for the actual shoot days just for the added protection. For example, if one of our C-stands were to fall over into or onto a factory machine not only could we be liable for the damage to the machine, but also its lost production. One such machine that we've shot multiple times produces around $9,000 an hour of product. Take that machine down for a couple of days while parts and an emergency service tech are brought in and we'd be liable for serious change.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Certificate of Insurance
on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:24:46 pm

Like Nick, I have had this happen as well... just exactly as you are now, Greg.

It depends on how the company you are using is structured. I know, it seems that what you are doing is simply hiring a company to show up with their equipment and their personnel to do this job for you.

In actuality though, most grip companies (at least the ones I've dealt with) and many pure lighting companies don't have those personnel actually on their staff.

So what you are really doing, is dealing with an equipment rental company who is renting you those lighting instruments, grip equipment, and truck, and also providing one or more grips who are actually freelancers that the company is simply doing the payroll for.

Their theory is, should someone drop a $10K light, you should be insured for it... whether it be you that drops it, or your employee for the day (even though they lined you up with that person).

But yes, I've seen it happen.


Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Certificate of Insurance
on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:56:26 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments. The grip company has said they don't need that certificate anymore. To your points, the owner of the Grip company is driving the van, delivering the gear, setting it up and operating it.

There are no freelancers and it's his gear.

In this case he should have his own insurance. If he drops a light he should be responsible.

My confusion was why he would want his name as a loss payee on my certificate. I do carry my own insurance, so I'm covered.

Anyway we're good now, so thanks so much for all of your help. You guys rock!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved