BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Super-bowl post-game commercial thead

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Super-bowl post-game commercial thead
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:36:57 am

Starting with the coin toss, it was nice to see Broadway Joe come out to throw one more interception.

1st Quarter: Mountain Dew is now making Brawndo, apparently.
McDonald's did a funny bad lip-sync meme job on NFL footage, copying a popular internet featurette series.

Ford tied to make a big deal of doubling-up their ad spots , but I didn't find it very memorable.

Maserati gets my vote for the most overly-dramatic recitation by a child in a commercial, EVER. This might be the first time in SB history Maserati ran a spot.

Chevy Silverado Bull DAte was clever and amusing.

Bud light's weirdly random fever-dream of a spot seemed pitched to millennials, but it just seemed a disjointed mess to me.

Cheerios Gracie spot was charming.

Square's collection of internet memes was funny, I wanted to see more memes presented.

Best spot of the first half: Turbo Tax "Prom" spot. Tapping into sports fan losers emotions and using John C. Reilly as spokes voice to reach the common man.

The U2 Red promo was a better half-time show than the real half time show.

I had a soft spot for the Hyundai spot with the protective dad that keeps rescuing his kid over the years.. very relatable, good spot.

Radio shack "80's spot"... imaginative way to introduce a(bother)re-branding.

Chevy World Cancer Day: Most heart-tugging spot of the night, very well done.

Illinois based Weathertech floor mats did a powerful spot, with the "you can't do that" theme, not sure if seen outside the local area.

Colbert's SECOND spot for Wonderful Pistachios was freaky but entertaining.

M^M's yellow, kidnapped by Russian oligarchs - kinda DARK for a candy...

Coke did another American Melting Pot type spot, nice but predictable.

Half-Time: Bruno worked HARD, and I liked his James Brown moves. He started strong, with a big Vegas show type feel, but overall the show was kind of lightweight; Even bringing out the RHCP couldn't amp up the sense of danger and unpredictability... it was nice to see Flea and Anthony wearing pants. I don;t blame Bruno or RHCP: the NFL WANTS a bland, safe, and wide-appeal show for half time, without controversy or drama. They got an entertaining time-killing event.

Kia's Maxtrix parody was attention-grabbing.

The Bruce Willis Honda spot was arresting because it went against expectations.

Most unexpected, Bob Dylan sells out to push Chrysler, now owned by Fiat, as the most American car you can get.

The Hefty Bag "sexy trashmen" got my wife's attention unlike any other spot of the night.

Diet Dew "Dale Call/duck call" made me laugh every time.

Overall, not a lot this year to really jump out and grab you.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Super-bowl post-game commercial thead
on Feb 3, 2014 at 2:29:07 pm

Hi Mark,

Didn't see all of them, but agreed about the Bud Lite fever dream spot. I disagreed about the Chevy Silverado spot - found the bull date kinda gross. I loved Cheerios with Gracie, and thought Armisen in the Willis spot should get the Chaplin Award for best silent acting.

Did you observe a tendency toward ultra-macho spots at the Super Bowl? But they make the more nuanced spots stand out.

Overall, the score was Commercials 54, Game 7.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:13:40 pm

I would like to point out that the award winning Doritos spot "Time Machine" was made here in Phoenix for $200. Great to see local talent hit a big spot like that.

Overall I was a bit underwhelmed in this year's spots. I noticed a lot of flag waving. Appealing to patriotism and charities, which sometimes rubs me wrong. I love corporations supporting that stuff but sometimes it just feels like they want to buy some sympathy for their million dollar spots. I don't know, maybe it's just the pessimist in me.

jeff

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:14:20 pm

Not so much a macho thread this year, IMO. Some isolationist rubes completely misunderstood the Coke spot where they showed our "melting pot" America by having the Star Spangled Banner being sung in many different languages, and they are apparently up in arm in the chat rooms today. I don;t know that there were any other spots that generated a huge buzz this year, positive or negative.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 3, 2014 at 4:07:13 pm

Commercials that I have retained 12 hours later, without the internet to help:

Radio Shack 80's clearance sale. I am somewhat shocked that Radio Shack has managed to stay in business after all this time. It seems kind of like JC Penney in that it is trying to stay relevant. It used to be you went to Radio Shack for a free battery (Grandpa made sure each family member had a free battery card), cheap electronics (Realistic), cordless phone batteries, disco balls and parts for science fair projects. Since the late 90's, no matter what you went in for, they tried to sell you a cell phone and were generally unable to identify anything else you were looking for. It will be interesting to see if a facelift can save this chain.

The Muppets - I think they were advertising an SUV, though obviously they have a movie coming out. Do the Muppets pay Chevy, or does Chevy pay the Muppets?

Note, the Muppets also helped with the Puppy Bowl.

Bob Dylan - weird - don't think he has spoken this much in years.

Transformers 4 teaser - looks about as bad as the previous one.

ok I need to look at the internet...

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Feb 3, 2014 at 4:36:24 pm

First off, I think you're right about Hyundai. They totally hit the mark with the protective dads. It felt authentic, it related to the product better than any other ad, and it was speaking directly to their target. This one is a grand slam in my opinion. I'm not even a dad and I still loved it. They totally went the opposite of huggies making dads seem incompetent, so I love that too.

Also, the bull date was the first commercial to get a laugh from me. So points there. Can we also talk about how Chevy does a great job keeping the look of their commercials consistent? From the first image of every single one, I knew it was them.

I, like Jeff, am kind of rubbed the wrong way by advertisers grabbing on to things like patriotism and disease. It just doesn't feel right to me. I understand now, after doing some reading, Chevy is raising some money for cancer, but I was pretty infuriated after watching the commercial because that's not what I got from it. I basically just heard/saw "celebrate breast cancer survivors with us." It felt like a robot trying to manipulate peoples emotions.

Bud light was just off the mark. They made some what aesthetically pleasing commercials - but so what? It's still a watered down beer that people either buy or don't. I don't think they done anything short of some branding. Probably not worth that price tag in my opinion. Also, I thought their attempt at humor was pretty weak, but I did like Arnold saying, "tiny tennis."

Ya, a little underwhelmed overall as well.

Let's not forget the Puppy Bowl though. Subaru was awesome with their dog tested dog approved campaign. Here's one of the many awesome ones!

Also, here's a link to a bunch of the Super Bowl commercials:

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/02/super_bowl_2014_watch_all_th...

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 3, 2014 at 5:02:22 pm

It's my opinion that the advertisers did too many pre-game reveals of the spots, which took away much of the mystery and anticipation once the spots appeared in the game. The mystique of appearing just in the game is part of the expensive draw.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:51:28 pm

[Mark Suszko] "It's my opinion that the advertisers did too many pre-game reveals of the spots, which took away much of the mystery and anticipation once the spots appeared in the game"

Agreed. My favorite were the T-Mobile ads featuring Tebow in their no contract push. I saw them days before the big game, but I still laughed when they came on.

Jeremy Doyle
http://www.jeremydoyle.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:26:13 pm

[Mark Suszko] "It's my opinion that the advertisers did too many pre-game reveals of the spots, which took away much of the mystery and anticipation once the spots appeared in the game."

I liken it to opening Christmas presents before the big day. When I was a kid wouldn't peek even if I had the chance because I loved the thrill of the big day. The anticipation is all part of it, like you said Mark.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Feb 6, 2014 at 11:49:51 pm

I can't stand it when someone says a spot was done for $200. Let's exaggerate shall we? Most of them were shot on Red. Did the actor's not get paid? Crew? Did anyone get lunch? Location fee? Not to mention post and color grading and then final mastering. Audio work?

Please.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:41:30 am

I once won a local award for a spot where the only cost was a (recycled, 4-pass) $20 betacam tape... but yeah, we didn't figure the cost of the studio, my crew, or my producing, writing, and editing time into it... mainly because in those days, we were totally on a "revolving fund" system, where clients only paid for expendables, and the studio infrastructure and staff were all "free", subsidized by the state so that any state agency that needed video done, could have it done, without the costs of private-sector production inhibiting it. And we had business wall-to-wall on that system. We don't exactly have that anymore; we DO have a rate card, but some things are still "on the house/all you can eat", others ARE on the rate card, but the rates are waaaay less than the actual "street price". We were never created to be a profit center or revenue generator, but to provide a service. Still, I do like to brag that my good friend in another agency spent a grand on a spot and entered the same competition where I won with the "20-dollar spot". His revenge is that I still use his as on-air program filler sometimes, but mine was more ephemeral, and is gone to the ages.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]