BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Ideas on Selling Vintage Vinyl

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Ideas on Selling Vintage Vinyl
on Jan 31, 2014 at 7:39:56 pm

Fellow Cowsters-

I have several rare, vintage LPs (i.e.- the first Blind Faith with the banned in the US cover) that, since I no longer have a working turntable, I'd like to sell off. Any ideas on the best place(s) to go for this?

Many dealers are little more than highway robbers, eBay may work or not. So any suggestions, perhaps a dealer who's not out to get something cheap which can later be sold for its actual worth? Any input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Ideas on Selling Vintage Vinyl
on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:37:54 pm

If I were you, I'd start out doing my research on each album on *bay, to find out what they're actually selling for. You can turn on the Completed Listings Only to see what people are asking, what didn't sell, and what did sell.

Many dealers are highway robbers, but the reason they're called "dealers" is they expect to make a profit from what you sell them. If they buy it for what it's selling for on the open market, there's not much in it for them. So any dealer who isn't totally brainless is going to offer you about a third of what he thinks he can sell it for.

As for that first Blind Faith album, the music is great, but everyone I knew in my circle of friends had it (the "rare" cover), so there must have been thousands pressed. That doesn't mean they still exist, of course. A lot of people tossed their LPs when the "grew up". Now...if you had the original Mom's Apple Pie album...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:31:07 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Now...if you had the original Mom's Apple Pie album..."

...then we'd have to block that post. LOL

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:10:38 pm
Last Edited By Nick Griffin on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:13:10 pm

Joseph, I BELIEVE I have the Mom's Apple Pie 45 and its cover which is the same as the album. Without checking, if I don't have the 45 I do have the album.

And thanks for the advice on checking eBay history.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 1, 2014 at 12:52:33 am

Now.....do you happen to have the first Stooges album?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Feb 1, 2014 at 5:12:26 pm

No. Sorry. But I do have the first Dave Mason LP -- the one with the psychedelic swirled vinyl.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 1, 2014 at 11:11:35 pm

Is that the "Alone Together" album? I have that as well, but not the swirled vinyl version, so it may have been a later release. Great album. And also interesting that some of Traffic's best songs were written by Dave Mason, and not Steve Winwood. I think Dave was the better writer of the two, and that may have caused the friction which split Traffic up (at least in its' first incarnation).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 2, 2014 at 1:51:06 pm

If you have any Beatles, stones, zeppelin, faces, small faces or fleetwood mac, I'm interested.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 2, 2014 at 4:18:47 pm

Hi Tom -

I have all of the above, but I'm afraid that they've been played to the point where it sometimes sounds like I'm cooking bacon in the background. I have all of the Beatles albums (some in the mono versions - I think they went exclusively to stereo as of Rubber Soul or earlier). All of the Stones albums up to Beggars Banquet - I got bored with the Stones after Brian Jones died - he was the creative spark which kept them from just being another rock and roll band. A couple of Faces albums (with Rod Stewart), and the Ogden's Nut Gone Flake Small Faces album - but it's a second copy, since I wore out the first one. Got a few Zeppelin albums - early ones, and only a couple of Fleetwood Mack albums (Bare Trees, Kiln House, Mystery to Me, Rumours, Then Play On) - when they were a blues band, up to Kiln House, my favorite. I've replaced just about all of them with CD versions over the years.

What, no requests for Bonzo Dog albums? Come on! I just got their Cornology collection on CD for Christmas. I have all of their vinyl albums, though. Great band.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 2, 2014 at 6:06:38 pm

If you have the Beatles "butcher" album, I'll have that. I've got most Beatles on stereo so the mono mix of revolver and pepper is interesting too.

You can't find stones or zeppelin vinyl very often (not without it being expensive) in the uk.

Ogdens is a classic-ill have that, along with déjà vu by csny if you've got it!?

Or, you could build yourself a nice new vinyl music station and keep playing music the way it was intended!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:23:13 am

You're going to laugh, Tom - I have two vinyl music stations, one with a cheesy old (new needle though) Radio Shack turntable, and one with a higher end Bang & Olufsen turntable. I also have an old Dual turntable kicking around in a back room. Although I own many CDs, I still much prefer the sound of analog vinyl - it's warmer, and you don't get that hard to describe digital sampling feel. Everything is there - no holes in between.

My best friend has the Beatle's "butcher" album. He just peeled an edge years ago and found it was under the new cover. I didn't realize what Stones albums go for even over here. I've got their first album, 12 x 5, Between the Buttons, and a couple of bootlegs. I don't want to sell my albums, but I'd be more than happy to watch for stuff coming up on *Bay here if you'll send me your pick list. I don't know if I can find it for less than you can get it for in the UK, but I'm happy to watch for stuff. I see Deja Vu going for about 8 bucks with about 15 minutes left on *Bay right now.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 4, 2014 at 5:42:18 pm

Thanks Joe! Very kind of you.

I might take you up on that - in my misspent youth I used to search around local vinyl shops for rarities, but its now a vinyl shop that is rare!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:40:05 pm

Hi Tom -

I know what you mean about a lack of "record" shops, but I'm lucky enough, here in New Hampshire, to have a record store within 30 miles of me, in Concord:

http://www.pitchforkrecordsconcord.com/reviews.html

They also refurbish and sell turntables and other analogue equipment, kind of like having a buggy whip shop in the neighborhood. Looks as if they have an *Bay shop as well.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:00:15 pm

Joe,

I do have the original Mom's Apple Pie!

and the bricked up version.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:05:05 pm

NIck,

Did you ever ask me about this?

Ebay is a good way to go. I have some cardboard LP mailers if you need one.

I used Chris Armbruster, here near us, to sell off a hundred or so LPs a few years back. He might know what the BF LP is going for these days.

410.627.6017. Tell him I said hi!

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]