BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Why I hate conference calls

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoWhy I hate conference calls
by on Jan 24, 2014 at 4:57:38 am

"Who just joined?"
"Who just joined?"
"Who just joined?"
"Who just joined?"
"Who just joined?"
"Who just joined?"

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Why I hate conference calls
by on Jan 24, 2014 at 10:04:43 pm

I wish it wasn't so, but I've lived through essentially ALL of this. What was missing however was my favorite when someone on the call from his home phone started to send a fax during the conference call. Unfortunately he forgot that he only had the ONE phone line.

Thanx, Mark!

Return to posts index

Jeff BreuerRe: Why I hate conference calls
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:45:12 pm

Nice Mark! They say the funniest stuff is the most painful. Sadly a very truthful account.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Why I hate conference calls
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:43:07 pm

It shows you that good communication relies on subtle and not-subtle visual cues to keep the flow organized. Audio-alone leads to those awkward conflicts. Using skype, facetime, or google hangouts, you get the additional visual cue from their facial expressions and gestures or postures when someone else wants to speak, and you are also getting visual cues regarding how what you're saying is going over.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Why I hate conference calls
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:48:19 am

Happens multiple times a week to millions of people. I wonder how many years worth of time are wasted waiting for people to join these calls.

Some systems announce the name, others simply make a sound, so it goes like this:

Host: Hello?

Host: Who joined?

Bob: Bob from corporate.

Host: Hi Bob. I invited 26 people but you're the only one here. I better send a reminder.

(email then goes out 2 min past the call time saying "Hi are you joining the call?")

Host: Who joined?

Joe: Joe.

Host: Hi Joe. What kept you?

Joe: It's 9:02.

Host: Yes, what kept you?

Joe: Sorry.

it goes on very similar to the video

Other situations:

Calling into someone else's call on the same line, and wondering what the heck is going on.

Someone calls from an airport, and every 2 minutes there is a loud announcement.

Using WebEx but someone tries to play a video and everyone sees less than 1 frame per second at 8bit color or worse, and nobody has the nerve to tell the host how bad it looks.

Moral of the story - use conference calls sparingly and only when a one-to-one call will not suffice.

Good for introductions of team members who are separated by geography. Not so good when two out of 10 people actually have things to talk about.

But it is part of business especially in the corporate world.

Mike Cohen

PS - Until I switched to Outlook I never understood the degree to which people live by their Outlook calendars.

Ooh, my calendar is telling me to check the TV and Film forum. Gotta go!

Return to posts index

Keith RamosRe: Why I hate conference calls
by on Jun 27, 2014 at 12:04:01 pm

Conference calls are indeed a little complicated to execute! But they do save our time and expenses so its become essential to use conferencing for meetings, webinars, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved