BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

I am new and i dont know if this is the right place to post my question. But I need your suggestions. Please let me know how much should i charge my client for a logo animation ?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janak Desai
I am new and i dont know if this is the right place to post my question. But I need your suggestions. Please let me know how much should i charge my client for a logo animation ?
on Jan 11, 2014 at 11:31:27 am

I do logo animation/intro/opener in AE. I make graphic animation, sfx, text animation, background. I dont do complete motion graphic. I use after effects and premier. I also add music tracks ( provided by clients) and sound effects and put it on timeline to match the animation effects. I have experience of 7 years. I have made many logo animations around 10 to 15 seconds. But now i want to know how much should i charge. What should be my hour rates ? How much should i charge in total for 10 to 15 seconds logo animation ? I have been charging roughly in past. And i have no idea now. I need to know and i need your help. Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: I am new and i dont know if this is the right place to post my question. But I need your suggestions. Please let me know how much should i charge my client for a logo animation ?
on Jan 13, 2014 at 12:17:59 am

There is an entire book's worth of comments on how to do this, you can find them using the search field and typing "Day Rate".

In a very short, capsulized form, I would say, the day rate is calculated first by deciding how many days a year you want to work. (You leave out vacations, holidays, weekends, etc. as you like). From that, figure out the hours per week you want to work.

Next you have to do a very detailed research into ALL your expenses; not just for your hardware and software, but for the location where they are housed. Expenses like utilities and insurance. Transportation. Everything. But also expenses like saving for upgrades and maintenance for that software and hardware. Continued training and self-improvement. Marketing and public relations. Accounting and banking and taxes. And some amount to put aside as savings.

Now you have two sets of numbers: one totals the hours per month. The other, the total of expenses per month. Reduce those to expenses per week, then expenses per day and per hour. This is not what you charge, though: this is the bare minimum amount you must make per hour or day, just to keep the door open and a roof over your head. You further refine this amount by now adding living expenses like food, cable TV, phone, etc. and deciding how much profit you want to make, above expenses.

Re-do the expenses and profit, divided into the hours worked and now you are getting closer to the actual day rate and hourly rate that is your minimum. Then measure that rate against others in your market, see if it is competitive, high or low. You like to be on the high side of the middle, not the cheapest or necessarily the most expensive.

But you can't lower your rate below a minimum and survive as a business. It would be more profitable to go out looking for sales leads than sitting in the shop waiting for customers to appear. If the numbers don't work out,
you either have to move someplace else, find a cheaper way to do the work with good value... or go work for someone else, not yourself.

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
Re: I am new and i dont know if this is the right place to post my question. But I need your suggestions. Please let me know how much should i charge my client for a logo animation ?
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:47:05 am

Janak,

I've been posting on Creative Cow for years, and if there's one thing I've learned is that you will never get a straight answer when asking what you should charge for X, Y, or Z. You won't get ballpark suggestions. Believe, me, if I had answer for you, I'd suggest a number, but unfortunately, I'm not an animator/logo designer.

Best,

Aaron

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:47:42 am

BTW, that's not to say that you won't get other useful information on the cow. You just won't get an answer to your pricing question.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:29:09 am
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:43:09 am

Aaron, I respectfully disagree.

We're not being deliberately obtuse by not just rattling off a number. We're giving as "honest" an answer as we can, by showing how to do the math, to get to a number that's right for each individual, because setting the rate is going to be different for every case, every city, every person. If there was one true and perfect rate that applied universally, don't you think we'd all know what that was, and be working at that rate today? But we don't, do we? You and I could both give very different estimates for the exact same job. And the truth of it is, we'd both be equally right. That is, as "right" for our own situations as we can be.

To just throw out arbitrary figures for someone else's project bids as if we know every detail behind the bid, well, that would be reckless. Our guesses would be just that: educated guesses, and we'd be low or high, but I would wager a donut that we'd never be exactly right on the money. And if we tell him a number that's low or high, what favor have we done for the guy, really? Lowballed him, or priced him out of his market.

And then we get to the factor of negotiating skill: even when you know your "right" day rate, your skills in negotiating and in marketing your abilities are what gets someone to *pay* that rate, a fact you know all too well by experience. And you have to figure in the economic pressures that depress or inflate demand, to stay competitive.

Go ahead and tell the man your numbers. Only be sure he realizes that your number are not his own numbers. I'm not looking for a fight; I just wanted to put another perspective on the situation.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:47:38 pm

Video rate calculator
http://www.videomaker.com/video-rate-calculator
or
http://www.freelanceswitch.com/rates/

Basically it's cost of living, cost of running your business, paid hours needed (don't forget the "unpaid" hours needed to manage your business eats into paid hours available).

If you don't have the most basic business management skills you'd could be heading towards catastrophic personal finances. These skills are as important as knowing how to use your software and hardware. Otherwise it's like being a great driver, having a great car, but no clue how to but gas in the tank. You aint gonna drive if you can't manage the business.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]