BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Price issue in animation

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katalin kotcsei
Price issue in animation
on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:20:00 pm

Hello everyone,

my name is Kata, I work in motion design, specializing for logos.

I work mostly with AE and Cinema 4D.

I am launching as a freelancer, in Germany, and I have questions regarding setting up a reasonable price list for my services.

How much should I charge for 2d/3d logos, and 2d/3d animation per second?

How should I rate the complexity of the work?

Should I ask for price/hour or price/end product?

All the best

K

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Price issue in animation
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:18:13 pm

Hi Kata -

The 2D/3D price per second is a trap as far as I'm concerned - if you say, or example, 100 Euros per running second finished 3D, you may well run into a situation in which you have to do a lot of prep work to get the logo looking good (conversion from .eps file, texturing multiple colors, converting a bad .psd to 3D, etc.). While you can structure your price to take these into consideration, many times you will end up on the high end, and lose bids.

I think that the price per hour gives both you and the client an advantage. Of course, you always want to look at what the client has before you quote on it, but if it's a simple logo which won't require too much work, you can keep your quote low, and still make money. As far as production prices in Germany, I have absolutely no idea what the going rates are, but of course, as with anywhere, you'll find different rates depending on the market (don't expect to get Munich rates in Lubeck). I think the best thing to do is to find out what your competition in the same market is charging (by checking out websites), and putting your price somewhere in the middle - and of course, since you're new to the market, you may want to do a few low profit projects to get your name and reputation out there. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Katalin kotcsei
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:49:54 pm

Hello Joe,

thank you very much for your time and selective, useful answer, it is quite much what I needed.

Take care,

K

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 18, 2013 at 12:18:27 pm

How much should I charge for 2d/3d logos, and 2d/3d animation per second?

As much as you possibly can!

Return to posts index

Katalin kotcsei
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:01:57 pm

:D thx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]