BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Mark - you OK?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick GriffinMark - you OK?
by on Nov 17, 2013 at 11:36:08 pm

Mark Suszko-

Knowing the part of the US where you live, and watching the weather news, please let us know that you and yours are OK. Big time scary.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Mark - you OK?
by on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:19:49 pm

I was spared, the storms passed north and south of Springfield, but I got to see the damage in Washington first-had this morning, there we about 25 sat trucks there, and me. This is not the most fun part of my job; visiting people hit by floods or tornados.

Washington, IL looked like it had been nuked; worst I've ever seen. I happened to hear Rush on the radio on the way back to Springfield and did NOT appreciate his light tone and mocking of those people as being unimportant "fly-over country", and being impertinent for naming their towns Washington and Manhattan.

Sorry, Rusty, but they are as real people as your neighbors back in Cape Girardeau. And they have been hurt, badly. The mayor attributes the light death toll from the F-4 to the fact most of that God-fearing community were in church services while their several hundred homes were erased from the face of the planet.

All I know is, I'm going to hug my family tonight and thank the Lord above they did not have to see what i saw today. It was the stuff of nightmares.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Mark - you OK?
by on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:51:34 pm

This is certainly the best of the two scenarios possible. I figured you working your butt off today was the better of the outcomes and glad to hear that's what it was.

"Entertainers" like Rush tend to be getting a lot of things wrong in the past few years. An appreciation of humanity is obviously one of them. Let's just hope that the people of Illinois and the rest of the midwest aren't left to fight for post-storm help the way New York and New Jersey were this time last year.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Mark - you OK?
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:05:28 am

Been there, Mark, it's not fun.

Tornados ripped through my area of Alabama two years ago, the death toll was 300+ (including two distant cousins) and it did indeed look like a nuclear bomb hit... impossible to describe.

I often wanted to crawl through the radio and smack some of the hilljack callers (to the one station still on the air) who were whining about being without electricity. Yes, it was dark for a week with no power and darn inconvenient, but we were alive. Priorities, people.

Very glad you made it through safe and sound.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:22:06 am
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:26:15 am

Still at work, only got a 45 minute dinner break: Our state was the first to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. At midnight, Fritz Klein, the best Lincoln impersonator I know of, did a dramatic reading recreation. We did a live stream of it from the Abe Lincoln Presidential Library andMuseum using a Tricaster, and now I'm making FTP files of the raw footage so fans in Asia and Europe can pull them down for use on their local news. Lincoln is BIG in Japan, if you didn't know.

If you want to see the short stream, googling Illinois Historic preservation and/ or Lincoln 150 should do it.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Mark - you OK?
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:38:29 pm

[Mark Suszko] "...the best Lincoln impersonator I know..."

Gosh Mark... how many do you know?? I barely know a dozen, maybe less.

Or, make that zero.

Sarcasm aside, sounds fun.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2013 at 6:17:38 pm

You have to remember, I live in Springfield, so....

But anyway, "Fritz" Klein IS one of the BEST Lincoln impersonators, IMO, not just because he pulls off the look very well, but he's spent a LOT of time perfecting what experts would say is the best approximation of how the President's voice sounds; a reedy mix of Kentucky, Indiana, etc.

Klein studies deep background on Lincoln, so he can stay "in character" and hold contmporary conversations while maintaining a level of authenticity. He's also very concerned with the dignity of his protrayal, so though he's willing to be humorous like Abe when appropriate, he's not going to do anything derogatory. Watching heom walk into a room full of school kids or adults, it's fun to see them drawn in by the performance.

Fritz regularly performs the short going-away speech he gave when leaving Springfield for D.C., at the very same train depot platform as the original occasion. Knowing what follows historically, I can tell you, the scene always puts a little lump in the throat.

http://focusmidwest.com/2008/11/09/being-lincoln/

If you need to hire "16", Fritz is your man.

A bit of trivia; there *may* be a sort of audio recording of Lincoln out there, somewhere. A Doctor specializing in work with the deaf, developed a way to capture a sort of "voiceprint", graphically

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2013 at 8:12:55 pm

...graphically capturing a kind of waveform on carbon-treated glass slides. He was touring euwrope and America while Lincoln was in office, making these "recordings". One was recently discovered and electronically processed to create an approximation of the original sound. It is fractionally possible that there was such a recording made of Lincoln, and to find one of those glass slides, if it still exists, would make a great plot for another of those Nick cage "National Treasure" movies...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]