BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Learning Grading Vs Online Editing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suresh SubramanianLearning Grading Vs Online Editing
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 2:29:22 pm

I am a Editor from India with 5 Years of experience. My office has a Avid DS Nitris system, a Smoke (MAC) and a DaVince Resolve system. I am now planning to learn an additional software in order to upgrade myself and also be able to do more than just editing. I am bit confused as to which software i should be learning. I am not a great fan of rotoscopy, compositing etc. but am very much interested in learning color correction/grading. And if i choose just grading will be i be as succesfull or make as much money as an Online Editor. Kindly point me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Learning Grading Vs Online Editing
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:53:53 pm

Color grading is useful, but I think for someone with your existing skillset, the next targets to shoot for would be advanced Audio editing/sound design, and/or either 2-d cel type animation or 3-d CGI modeling and animation.

Quality animation costs a lot, even using high tech tools, and it's often one of those things that clients want to add, but never feel they have the budget to hire out. If YOU can demonstrate some skills in animating characters as well as typography, you are going to be able to charge more, and work on more elite projects. Animating skills are one of those distinctive dividing lines between average editors, and people who can do complex compositing, virtual sets and set extensions, etc.

Don't frown on rotoscoping; learn to embrace it, because it is closely related to keyframed animation work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved