BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Success! Old Fashion, Low Tech Brochure Sent in Snail Mail Landed Video Project

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
Success! Old Fashion, Low Tech Brochure Sent in Snail Mail Landed Video Project
on Oct 27, 2013 at 4:10:53 pm

Just wanted to say that sometimes the old tried and true works. Wish we had a separate sub-board on Marketing Success Stories. Randomly sent a brochure to a company mentioned in local biz press, got call for little $5K gig, my effort was a half day shoot, editor did rest, I keep $3K.

Cost: .50¢ brochure, .10¢ envelope, .05¢ biz card, stamp .46¢ Total Cost: $1.11

Originally $300 to create brochure by pro artist then about $200 for printing.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Success! Old Fashion, Low Tech Brochure Sent in Snail Mail Landed Video Project
on Oct 27, 2013 at 6:37:31 pm

[Ned Miller] "Wish we had a separate sub-board on Marketing Success Stories."

Welcome to the Marketing Success Stories forum!

The name of the forum is "Business & Marketing," not, "How Much Should I Charge," "My Client Won't Pay Me," "I Want To Use Media That I Know I Shouldn't But Don't Want To Pay For," or "I Hate This Industry Because This Industry Hates Me."

Just plain old "Business & Marketing."

Actually, the origin of this forum was an interest in talking about business practice in general. It's not at all surprising to us that it developed into a problems/solutions forum though, since that's why the COW as a whole was founded (in its original form) 18 years ago.

The fact is that very nearly all of you are having mostly good days. And yes, some specific plans outside day-to-day tasks that actually succeed. I'd love nothing more than a forum dominated by the dominant dynamic of the regular posters here: success stories.

No need to pile all the success stories in this one thread, either. Plenty of success to go around on a bunch of different topic....like this one about Good Old Snail Mail. My own mailbox gets more of this than anything, so I assume it's working for a lot of people. Ned, I'm thrilled that you're one of them! Great story!

The rest of you -- keep 'em coming!

Yr pal,
Timmy

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Success! Old Fashion, Low Tech Brochure Sent in Snail Mail Landed Video Project
on Oct 28, 2013 at 9:59:07 pm

Congrats, Ned! Yes, even snail mail works... when the timing is right. And how do we get the timing right? Almost always through random luck that we hit someone at just the right time for THEM. That requires throwing a lot against the wall so some of it will stick. And painful as it can be for all of us, cold calling works too if you do it often enough with a plan and with some regularity.

But what works best? Always has been and probably always will be referrals. Nothing beats having a happy customer saying good things about you.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 29, 2013 at 5:02:37 am

Excellent, excellent.

You know, we don't have any printed collateral at all. I originally started this company 16 years ago pretty much to serve one client and one existing big contract at that time, so I didn't even have business cards for three years. Which could sometimes prove embarrassing (mock looking through wallet: "Shoot, I must be completely out of them.").

I have mulled over creating a nice brochure, though. I've said to myself several times that whenever she has some down time I'll put my art director on it (she's the print expert here, the rest of us are clueless about anything that goes on paper). So far she's been way too busy, though... plus the combination of me being too lazy to write it. Probably a smidge more of the latter.

Ned's story has me a little more motivated to get on it, though...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]