BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

To Charge For Second Version Of Video?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane McGeeTo Charge For Second Version Of Video?
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:23:33 pm

I did a job for a big non was a golf/auction event. I cut together a video of quick interviews of people at the event saying "oh its such a great cause! blah blah" with b-roll of the event over it. All with some royalty free music in the background...and they loved it.

I'm working on finishing it now but they also now asked for a second (shorter) one without mentioning of sponsors from the people I interviewed, so they can use it for other promotional purposes...

Should I be charging another fee for this or just cut it down to 1 minute somehow and give it to them?

The current video is about 2:20 long or so...they want the other one about a 1:00 long... If I should be charging, how should I calculate that rate since I originally charged the whole project as a flat rate fee. (filming + editing)

(I already submitted the invoice and they apparently have a check on the way for me for the original scope of project, if that matters...)

15" MacBook Pro Quad Core i7 2.0GHz
Final Cut Pro X
Canon T2i

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: To Charge For Second Version Of Video?
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:35:11 pm

If you have even a rough idea of what your hours were for editing, and what you charge for editing, you should be able to come up with a fair price (it should not be free - unless of course this is a pet non-profit).

The fact that they've already (ostensibly) paid you for Phase 1 doesn't mean you should charge for Phase 2, since this wasn't part of the original quote. Cutting the original in half is going to require a fair bit of time on your part, figuring out what can go and still maintain a cohesive story line. Then you have to actually edit it. Unless there are really clear sections to the video, and you can drop one without hurting the storyline, it will amount to almost a "from scratch" version of the first video. The good news is that the story is fresh in your head, as is the footage, so it should be able to be done in considerable less time than the first edit.

I think that you should come up with what you think is a fair price, call them and quote it, and be prepared to explain simply and clearly why it's not quite as simple as cutting it in half and rendering it off.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: To Charge For Second Version Of Video?
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:23:29 pm

Make doing the second one, contingent on getting paid for the FIRST one. You don't deliver a clean, un-watermarked copy of either one until they pay for the first one. Not saying your client is shady, but it IS a technique of shady clients to keep adding deliverables and moving the sign-off goal-posts, as much as they can, without paying any more.

The short edit has some advantages, in that you already did all the logging and loading of footage. Also, most o the graphics will be re-usable, or at least templated for easy changes. Even your music is already picked out. So, it comes down to the hours you estimate for the re-edit, times your hourly rate, plus a small error margin.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: To Charge For Second Version Of Video?
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:31:20 pm

It's probably not a hard gig at all... I think we've been in this same exact situation quite a few times.

But it is of course another job... and one you should charge for. It's obviously well outside the scope of the deliverables of your original gig.

Quote 'em what your time is worth, whatever your hourly rate is x how long you think it will take.

If you have any "extras" don't forget to include those, too... such as music. You said you were using royalty-free music... but depending on your purchase details you may have bought it royalty-free just for one particular project, and this might be considered it another one. Things like that.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved