BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Pricing for Freelance project?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven ShegaPricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 6:46:33 pm

I work for a company that is looking to find 3-4 videographers/photographers in each state for location shoots. I'm curious what you think would be a fair rate. We know what we're looking to charge, but curious to get opinions. Thanks in advance! Here's a rough draft of our ad:

We are looking for an experienced videographer/photographer around the ______ area for a location shoot. This could lead to future work with us!

We are seeking an individual who:
- Resides near the ____ area (within a few hours)
- Has the equipment & ability to shoot HD (1080p) Video
- Has the equipment & ability to take High-Res Photos
- Has experience shooting both indoor and outdoor environments

If you possess all of the above requirements we’d like to hear from you!

A bit of information regarding the job itself:
- You would be traveling to the location, & spending a few hours (max) shooting videos & photos of a specific resort or lodge. After the shoot, we’ll put you up for the evening.
- We will provide you with a script/shot list, & ensure you know exactly what shots you need to get.
- After you’ve finished shooting, you’ll simply upload the photos & send us the raw video footage, & you’re done. No editing!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Pricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 8:09:57 pm

It's hard to say. You're going to get what you pay for... and I don't really get a sense of how "high end" or "low end" this project is. Knowing that would help. Is this footage that is going to be viewed on the web only on some local real estate website? Or is it content for a big-dollar national broadcast campaign? Or something in between (likely)? Knowing that would be helpful in establishing the financial scope.

You might want to tweak (or refine) your technical requirements as well. You might be needing footage out of an $80,000 Alexa rig with another $100K's worth of lenses... but in actuality your specs of "Has the equipment and ability to shoot HD (1080p)" can these days include pretty much the lowest-end $600 handycam from Best Buy. Are there any lighting requirements, or all available light? Are there any sound requirements, or all MOS? Any camera support requirements (dolly, slider, crane, jib, Steadi), or are sticks and a fluid head sufficient. Is any grip equipment required, or are you literally looking for just a body and a camera?

So, the range is wide... could be $75 a day from a newbi college kid who knows how to work his camera, to $300+ an hour for someone really high end.

So as I said, more info would be helpful. At any rate, strike the "This could lead to future work with us!" line. Even if that's a completely true statement in your case, pros who've been doing this a long time know that's almost always simply code for "We're not going to pay you much, in the hopes that you'll work cheap while dreaming of a bigger job that we're never going to come through with."

People here always seem fairly loathe to ever discuss their own rates, but it doesn't bother me at all so I will. For a gig like this I'd normally charge $2400 for an eight-hour day (if it's all within M-F 9-5), excluding travel time, mileage, meals, and accommodations. But that includes fairly high-end gear and a decent amount of toys... your project may not warrant that. Or, it might... it's hard to say yet.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steven ShegaRe: Pricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 8:32:52 pm

Thanks for the response.

While we required HD Video and photos, we're not concerned with audio, or additional lighting. This should be a very simple, show up and shoot for 2-3 hours & and be done type of shoot. No really high end equipment is needed, so long as we end up with decent quality, HD video. It's basically a glorified real estate video of a resort or lodge. For example, we use a Sony Handycam, and a $600 digital Canon Rebel camera, and they give us the quality that we need.

Return to posts index

Steven ShegaRe: Pricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 8:33:16 pm

Thanks for the response.

While we required HD Video and photos, we're not concerned with audio, or additional lighting. This should be a very simple, show up and shoot for 2-3 hours & and be done type of shoot. No really high end equipment is needed, so long as we end up with decent quality, HD video. It's basically a glorified real estate video of a resort or lodge.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Pricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 3, 2013 at 9:00:37 pm

That's helpful info...

Still it could probably vary wildly based on market/equipment/ability, but I'll just throw out one number based on one particular guy that we sometimes hire as crew.

He's actually a wedding videographer by profession, but a quite a good one (also some corporate work), and for a gig like this would use pretty much the equipment you describe. I think for a shoot-only job like this with minimal equipment his day rate would be in the $750-800 range (not including travel/mileage/meals/accommodations). He has the ability level that I would trust in a freelance shooter, and I think he sets his rates accordingly (and fairly), based on his equipment and ability. I personally wouldn't hire someone "lower on the food chain".... although there are plenty.

It could still vary a lot, both higher and lower, but maybe that gives you a starting point.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Pricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:33:35 pm

I'd say you're looking at somewhere in the $850 to $1,000 range plus travel, mileage and meals. That would be for a 10 hour day portal to portal. Plus upload time or converting footage and offloading it to a hard drive.

I agree with what others have said. You get what you pay for.

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Pricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 4, 2013 at 8:45:12 pm

Well, you're asking a couple different things: what's fair and what you can pay (based on what you'll charge which you already know). If you can afford less than $xyz a day, you'll be looking at amateur and beginner video with varying levels of quality. Above $xyz a day, you get more experienced people with better equipment.

It sounds like the overall quality can be mid-range or lower because you intend to put it all together in the edit. In that case, hit up the local photo, video, and indie film groups in town and see if there's someone who can do your shooting for less money. If you can afford more, do it and you'll save money by not recovering lousy footage or having to do a reshoot due to poor quality. Either way, it's your dime and you have to decide how best to spend it.

For pricing, I know people who won't charge less than $500 a day and others who are equally as good who charge much less for local shoots. Try looking for freelance, ENG, stock, and indie shooters with a decent portfolio who have their own equipment and are willing to shoot for your prices. Ask for links to portfolios and be critical. Many are also accustomed to driving all over town to get their shots and can be really efficient about it. Every town and market is different, though.

These are just some ideas and I won't pretend to know your business model so I'll say "good luck" with your endeavor and I hope this helps.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Pricing for Freelance project?
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:47:28 pm

I like the Voices.com model where I put a sample script and a range I will pay for the project. The higher I offer the better voices I get. With this I would not hire anyone without seeing a great videography/DP demo reel. Offering between $500-$1500/10 hour day portal to portal, (or basically 8-10 hours of work and you throw in the overnight stay at the lodge) would get you some pretty good samples. You should be able to see the difference between the high and low, as I do with voice samples from voices.com. Sure, some poor shooters will ask for the $1500 but their reel should reveal the quality you will get.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]