BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd TerryDisney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:12:40 am

Disney is so famously litigious, I'm surprised they aren't making more of a fuss about this...

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/09/19/escape-from-tomorrow-a-movie-secretly-...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:21:47 pm

I'm not. At this stage any more publicity only helps the movie, not Disney. Probably first they launch a stealth campaign to get the movie bad reviews. But they will fight it. In the courts for sure. Just a matter of time, and they are going to wear this guy down with the legal fees.

Not sure the movie is any good, but I have a grudge against Disney for how they bought off Congress to unreasonably extend their copyrights, and in doing so, make life miserable for film-makers everywhere.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:56:09 pm

I agree with Mark. Most people have never heard of this film and never will if Disney doesn't do anything. The second you hear about Disney going after this film on a major TV news outlet the film makers will get a dramatic increase in people looking into it and possibly watching it. I think the trailer sucks (it really doesn't tell you anything) and I have no desire to see it and I think Disney thinks most people feel the same way about the trailer as I do.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:02:52 pm

It will be a much more subtle method than what Hearst did to Orson. Since Disney owns pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm Star Trek and so many other huge properties now, really, the entire food chain of for-hire critics and reviewers and show venues will think twice before possibly losing inside access to Disney's"kingdom", if they cover this story. Disney doesn't even have to hint at it. A few less invites to advance screenings here and there, an "insider scoop" interview with a star or director that suddenly "got a last-minute schedule conflict", things that could of course be completely legitimate co-incidences...and they'll all start to self-sensor. It will make Hearst and Hedda Hopper look like amateurs.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:16:24 pm

I was going to post that article about Escape from Tomorrow. It is a fascinating story. The movie itself sounds like a mess of gratuitous personal introspection and guerilla filmmaking shock shlock. But I will be interested to see it.

Disney is not so concerned about bad publicity based upon the fact that they make movies like the Lone Ranger (ouch).

We have all heard the urban legend about the proud father who sent a VHS to Disney of his daughter's dance recital to the Little Mermaid soundtrack, and was sued for copyright infringement.

I can't find anything about this on gizoogle, so it must be myth.

Lucasfilm was very tolerant of fan films, and other fan film genres have followed suit.

At this point, 10 years into the YouTube generation I can think of little that would be worth the expense for Disney. When you are Disney, nearly any publicity is good publicity, unless someone was physically injured (which unfortunately has happened also).

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:38:12 pm

Speaking of gizoogle, lets see what they have to say about this...for those that don't know about Gizoogle, be for warned that it is offensive.

http://www.gizoogle.net/index.php?search=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.moviefone.com%2F...

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 9:56:17 pm

Well, it won't apply to the rest of the world, but just the buzz so far and the rather unbelievable story behind its making is enough to make me curious enough to see it.

Ebert, for one, loved it (one of the last that he personally picked for his festival). We didn't always agree, but I generally respected his critiques.

One different issue I'll take with Mike (and probably a bunch of other peope)... I actually rather liked The Lone Ranger. In fact, quite a lot. I had no intentions of seeing it after it was so universally panned, but it was what was playing at the drive-in in a neighboring city (yes, an actual drive-in). So, we went just for the "event" of it (grill dogs at home, load a cooler and camp chairs in the Jeep... it's much more of an outing than a movie). I was very very pleasantly surprised. Believable? Of course not... but a pretty rollicking good time. Or at least we thought so.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Disney, Fair Use, and the secret movie
by on Oct 15, 2013 at 12:42:45 pm

If it was a decent movie, maybe they would. Trailers are horrendous. I think folks who actually pay to see it are just more curious how they were able to shoot inside the park rather than the movie itself.

By not saying much at all, the film doesn't get much play in the news. If they were fighting the film loudly in court, it would be all over the news and more people would actually pay to see it. I'm sure there are some quiet things happening in the background, such as pressure by Disney on theaters to not show it or run the risk of being cut out out on Disney / Pixar releases. Much quieter and easier for Disney to do than a public lawsuit.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Southeast Creative Summit, Oct 25-27. Register Now! Save with code: creat...
Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]