BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How much should you charge - Cost of Doing Business - Vincent Laforet

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig SeemanHow much should you charge - Cost of Doing Business - Vincent Laforet
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 2:16:58 pm

Great blog post to the oft asked question on how much should you charge. He does a good breakdown of typical costs compared to a salary of $70k. I think this will help a lot of newbies think about the numbers.

How to succeed as a creative long term: know your C.O.D.B.
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013/08/01/how-to-succeed-as-a-creative-long...

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: How much should you charge - Cost of Doing Business - Vincent Laforet
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 2:42:26 pm

Make this link a sticky-note at the head of the forum, somebody.

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: How much should you charge - Cost of Doing Business - Vincent Laforet
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 3:09:53 pm

I agree Mark. This question comes up so often and Laforet not only runs sample numbers but gives a good explanation. And the numbers aren't for an "out of reach" high end since the example is for a $70K salary. It's a good business primary with numbers and examples for a solo startup/freelancer.

Return to posts index

Ned MillerRe: How much should you charge - Cost of Doing Business - Vincent Laforet
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:57:18 am

Hmmmm...that made my brain hurt. I've been in the biz since 1976 and what seems to work has been this mantra:

"It's not what you make it's what you keep."

Worked so far.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: How much should you charge - Cost of Doing Business - Vincent Laforet
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 1:45:56 am

[Ned Miller] ""It's not what you make it's what you keep."

Worked so far."

If newbies understood that it would be a different world.
For them it's "I can do your TV spot for $100 because that's $100 more than I had yesterday" (not factoring in that breakfast, lunch, dinner, the tank of gas and parking will cost them $125).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]