BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Freelance Editing + Filming rates?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Spince
Freelance Editing + Filming rates?
on Jul 26, 2013 at 8:08:34 pm

Hi guys first post here

I hopefully looking for some advice on rates to charge as a freelancer.
At the moment I am working with someone who knows quite a few local businesses in my area that are looking videos to be made or existing videos to be edited for websites or adverts.

From general searches online I've found what people usually charge but my main question was how much should my prices differ when I film a video and edit it as well - compared to a video that all I have to do is edit?

I recall seeing a video where a guy said he started out doing videos at $46 an hour of editing, this I believe covered his filming time as well (His hourly rate was higher because he also had to film the video) so with this in mind should I dramatically lower my prices if I intend on just editing a video that has already been shot?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Freelance Editing + Filming rates?
on Jul 26, 2013 at 9:22:32 pm

[Matthew Spince] "my main question was how much should my prices differ when I film a video and edit it as well - compared to a video that all I have to do is edit?"

Not at all. Charge for filming, and charge for editing. The rate shouldn't differ at all whether or not you shot the footage as well. Your edit rate is your edit rate...period.

But I come from the Hollywood angle. But even in the corporate stuff I did when i started out, I had a day rate for shooting, and then a separate hourly for editing. Nothing changed even if a client brought in their own footage...the difference was they didn't pay me to shoot.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]