BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Website marketing tips and critique

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Patten
Website marketing tips and critique
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:27:25 am

Hi,

I m looking for a bit of advice regarding our company website and branding.
It does not seem to attract any customers and we dont receive any emails or calls from the site.
I would much appreciate any advice and the name of the company does not sound much like a video production company. Many the name is wrong too?
atproductions.tv is the website

many thanks in advance
Nick

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Website marketing tips and critique
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:22:23 pm

My immediate impression of the website. Lots of text. If you are going to use YouTube for the demo reel, disable any ads or related videos.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Andy jackson
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:10:10 pm

Hi.

Websites don`t work in the video production business.
There is too much competition.

Clients don`t know where to turn.

It seems you have done a few videos by looking at your website.
How did you manage to get them clients?
Were they one off jobs?
Did they just disappear?

I seemed to find that clients dried up extremely quickly in the video production business as they keep chasing the next monkey to do their next production for peanuts.

The major players who work in broadcast tv never seem to put much information on their sites explaining their equipment etc. just samples of their programs and clients.
Obviously they have repeat contacts which to pitch too keep them busy.

Events and corporate video production is a different model.

The video business is a dying industry and I can`t see it getting any better in the future.

Hope this info helps.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2013 at 9:22:13 pm

[Andy jackson] "The video business is a dying industry and I can`t see it getting any better in the future."

[ "The video business is a dying industry, as we used to know it, and it will be very different in the future."

FTFY

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jul 23, 2013 at 3:43:18 am

If anyone tells you websites don't work because the industry is over saturated and/or dying, please never listen to them.

You have a decent site. One thing that you should work in is mentioning your location. I think it's on there once or twice. It should be in the first bit of text on the site, in the page titles, in the meta-data, etc. How else are people going to find you?

Google "video production surrey" and look at the results. It doesn't strike me as a highly competitive search term because there's a lot of random junk. Look up tips for optimizing your site for search, and add ALL your information as well as some Surrey related tags to your YouTube videos. YouTube videos show up before search results and can point people to your site.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Nick Patten
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:29:43 am

Hi,
Thanks great advice. Jason truly agree too much text and I will sign up to vimeo Pro. I will still youtube as a promotional tool.
Andy yes the competition is fierce and we get our clients trough word of mouth / recommendations. In did we are constantly beat down on prices but tools / software are more effective, equipment prices are coming down so we manage.
Mark I also think that the industry is not as we used to know it and it will survive and can only get better!
And Kylee great advice on location. I must look into employing a SEO guru as I cant seem to be able to improve the SEO results. Also with location we are based just outside London and very close to Heathrow.
It is very possible to get work trough a website I know of a company who became very successful solely trough the website.

To recap:
Short snappy text
Move to vimeo (I cant disable adds I think is the music we used)
Improve SEO
Make it more clear on location

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:35:11 pm

I don't think you can market a website, you need to market how you are a benefit to a customer. There's a lot of "we" in the text and not much "You" - you talk about you and not how you will solve my problem. People want to connect with people, not gear. Put some testimonials on there. I also think there's simply too much - it's overwhelming. Less is more. Do you look at your analytics to see who is hitting your site?

I get next to zero new business from my website, it's there as confirmation that I have a website (and therefore must be a legit business) when my referrers send prospects there. And don't forget to ask for referrals. Site is updated weekly. (Your last blog post was on Jan 21, FB March 7, tweets sketchy, YT 6 months ago) The need is to keep in constant contact with your clients and give them a reason to send people your way. Are you sending a newsletter? Thank you cards? Taking them to lunch? Give them a reason to talk about you & share with their peers. Write more-frequent blog posts to share with your clients.

I dropped off a bottle of wine & card to a regular client yesterday (this is my marketing), while there I was introduced to one of her clients that is interested in a creating a DVD. My client tells her flat out "you do not call anyone else, Steve is who you work with". I have 4 "fans" of that caliber that promote me like that. You build fans, they don't happen. Profit comes from repeat business. And in pure Zelin style I immediately sent her a LI invite, got her in my database & sent a follow-up email last night

So I guess my answer to your question is learn how your clients like to get your info; are they on FB, LI, Twitter, newsletter - send them content regularly in the form and place they like to get it and WHEN they are most apt to see it. You can no longer expect people to find your site. Posting at 11am when it's convenient for you may not be the best time if the majority of your clients/prospects are checking social & email at 3:30pm. Make your name "Top of mind" when they think of production. Find ways to cut through the clutter.

Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:24:30 am

Came across this
http://www.cmo.com.au/article/521557/how_can_digital_cmo/

You need to this to "get found"

Steve

Return to posts index

Monty Ross
on Jul 24, 2013 at 10:30:52 am

Article posting is a good way to get your site known to the web community and at the same time allows you and your site to build up respect with your visitors.Article posting is a good way to get your site known to the web community and at the same time allows you and your site to build up respect with your visitors.

Since the inception of the idea of software patents, it has been surrounded with so many heated discussions. To know more about it Read on this page

Return to posts index

nata muka
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:37:32 pm

Goal setting is one of the most important things you can do. There are many varieties and flavors of action plans, but the basic premise is that you define a goal clearly, determine how to measure success, and then create action steps to achieve it.Read http://database-marketing.mix-marketing.net more

Return to posts index

nata muka
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:43:21 pm

Web marketing may be divided in following types: affiliate marketing, social media marketing, display advertising, inbound marketing, search engine marketing, search engine optimization and social media marketing.And now more detailed about all of them.http://web-marketing.mix-marketing.net here you will find useful information

Return to posts index

Ken Fisher
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:34:04 pm

I just stumbled upon this and I'm guessing the design has changed since the original post. I can't see why the video on the home page goes to YouTube when clicked. My opinion is you've lost them already unless you can insert some good call to action links within the video itself to get them back.

An invaluable source for web usability..

http://unbounce.com/blog/

Sony Vegas Pro 11
DVD Architect Pro 5.2
Sony Vaio Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core TM i7-2670QM CPU 2.20Ghz
8 G RAM

Sony DCR-VX2100
Sony HXR-NX70U

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]